Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Students: How do you study?

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi everyone :wave:

I am aware, that everyone has their own way of studying and as a student myself, I am curious to find out how other people study!

So how do you study? What works best for you?

Personally I tend to write out my notes, but have also started exploring new ways- listening to my notes, making recordings (this helped me especially for my presentation), sticky notes.

Sometimes I like using acronyms e.g. if you needed to remember cheese, orange and peas were foods, I may write COP and use COP to remind me.

When I was at school I remember one teacher was really into writing songs about material to aid studying :)

Very interested to hear from other students- whether it's school, college or uni - studyings all the same :yes:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hello!

University was so tough with all the exams and so many readings to do. I like to record my lectures and listen to them and write out notes. Once i've done that I will transfer them onto small revision cards so and keep reading through them until I can remember the main points. In my uni room I would stick them around my room so when I got ready in the morning I could practice remembering the points! Past exam questions were always good for practicing essays.
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I tend to write lots and lots of notes repeatedly, to try and learn. Sometimes I try the nemonic type thing you mentioned apandav, other times I try diagrams or repeating things verbally.

I also try to apply the knowledge, e.g. Mock qs because that way you can make your own links between topics and start to think about how you would go about answering questions or talking through the topic with a friend to test my understanding.

I've also used the note cards in the past like Aife.
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Great thread :) I am quite a visual learner so I always wrote notes out but used a lot of colour and simplicity - so short, sharp bullet points with different colours for different themes etc.

I'd encourage everyone to have a think about their learning style - there are some quick quizzes online which might give you an idea if you're not sure - and remember that the same methods don't work for everyone, and that's fine! Just go with what suits you :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm quite lucky for doing exams in that I never do revision because I don't really need to. If it's taught well, and I understand at the time I just remember. Of course in school their was compulsory revision, or when they just turned lessons into revision so I went to and did those but I really can't understand the point of revision so just ended up bored really quickly.

Nowadays in uni I don't have any exams (which is terrible, I like exams, but I kind of chose more on subject) so my style is currently 'get a 1-2-1 to help me know what to do, then create a 'to do' list for me to do before the next 1-2-1'.
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Great to hear everyone different methods of studying, I find that sometimes depending on how I am feeling or if I'm more tierd, some methods work better than others at different times.

Due to my anxiety and low mood, sometimes I struggle to concentrate- sometimes the best thing for me is just reading and I use this software than says my notes aloud - which is helpful (also when I'm tierd).

Also I sometimes change my methods about to stop myself getting as bored- which obviously happens more when I'm not enjoying that particular area!

Oh and good luck for all you students in your exams :)
    hi

Please I really need advice, I feel I have been doing lots of revision but after recaping things I feel I barley know anything- e.g. I remember covering that when I recap it but I can't think up the information in my head. I just feel what a waste, I have exams next month and am now getting very worried :(

I have been struggling with my mental health and its making it harder to concentrate, but still I am really trying :(

Also this one specific class has a lot of random unrelated facts- probably makes it harder to recall- any tips on how to study when its just a whole load of un-linked topics and lots of memory work?
    Hi,

I'm struggling with concentration too.. I managed 3 pages reading earlier before I gave up. It's just so difficult isn't it?

My first tip would be don't worry about what you do or don't know, and focus on learning or revising what you need to know.
    After that Id say you probably know more than you think, and that when it comes to the exam you will suddenly remember it all (or at least I always seem to).

If that doesn't work then something one of my 1-2-1's told me might work. They basically were saying there's a learning curve where if you learn something, you forget it over a period of 2-4 weeks if you don't use it. So she was wanting me to revise the same information every 2 weeks..
    I saw completely no point in that and ignored her knowing my memory just works (it's about the only part of me that does work haha!) I never did any revision for this exam same with all my others, ended up with 83%.
    sorry, I got a bit of topic, but if it helps you feel reassured you won't forget stuff or your not learning things revising the same info more than once might help.
    amy#36 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm struggling with concentration too.. I managed 3 pages reading earlier before I gave up. It's just so difficult isn't it?

My first tip would be don't worry about what you do or don't know, and focus on learning or revising what you need to know.
    After that Id say you probably know more than you think, and that when it comes to the exam you will suddenly remember it all (or at least I always seem to).

If that doesn't work then something one of my 1-2-1's told me might work. They basically were saying there's a learning curve where if you learn something, you forget it over a period of 2-4 weeks if you don't use it. So she was wanting me to revise the same information every 2 weeks..
    I saw completely no point in that and ignored her knowing my memory just works (it's about the only part of me that does work haha!) I never did any revision for this exam same with all my others, ended up with 83%.
    sorry, I got a bit of topic, but if it helps you feel reassured you won't forget stuff or your not learning things revising the same info more than once might help.

Thanks Amy :)

Well done for your exam!

After 3 years of exams at high school, I'd of thought I'd be able to manage the stress much better :/
    apandav wrote: »

Thanks Amy :)

Well done for your exam!

After 3 years of exams at high school, I'd of thought I'd be able to manage the stress much better :/

Not necessarily (assuming your at college now as you said 'after school') college is different to school, the work and exams is harder so more challenging and therefore probably more stressful. It's also going to be in a different room, with different rules and just generally a different way of doing things. So being stressed is understandable.

Not necessarily (assuming your at college now as you said 'after school') college is different to school, the work and exams is harder so more challenging and therefore probably more stressful. It's also going to be in a different room, with different rules and just generally a different way of doing things. So being stressed is understandable.

I'm at university, in Scotland we can stay at the same school post 16 to study highers (equivalent to A-levels) as we were when we were 11/12. So I went from school to university :) , except I took a year out after I left school, unlike some of my friends. But yeah a new place is challenging but feel I am settled into uni now, its my first university exams (never had any in semester 1 for my course)
    I saw this article today about a study/revision app called Gojimo for GCSEs and ALevels - does anyone use it?
    Personally, my take on studying is to leave it all to the last minute, cry a little bit and then stay up all night and get shit done
    Hiccup wrote: »
    Personally, my take on studying is to leave it all to the last minute, cry a little bit and then stay up all night and get shit done

Aww, I know when I was at uni I couldn't study until it felt urgent! I.e the night before or a few days before, only then did I have that motivation to 'get shit done'.. but that actually was okay for me then..everyone studies differently, I guess it's about finding what works for you :chin: Are you okay with that way of doing it @Hiccup or do you wish you could start earlier?
    Jo7 wrote: »

Aww, I know when I was at uni I couldn't study until it felt urgent! I.e the night before or a few days before, only then did I have that motivation to 'get shit done'.. but that actually was okay for me then..everyone studies differently, I guess it's about finding what works for you :chin: Are you okay with that way of doing it @Hiccup or do you wish you could start earlier?

I've tried doing it earlier before, but I find that I just end up forgetting it by the time the date comes, or I get so fed up with the amount of studying that I've done I become so drained. I much prefer doing it just before, I tend to remember it better

I've tried doing it earlier before, but I find that I just end up forgetting it by the time the date comes, or I get so fed up with the amount of studying that I've done I become so drained. I much prefer doing it just before, I tend to remember it better

I see yeah, makes sense! :)
    apandav wrote: »

I'm at university, in Scotland we can stay at the same school post 16 to study highers (equivalent to A-levels) as we were when we were 11/12. So I went from school to university :) , except I took a year out after I left school, unlike some of my friends. But yeah a new place is challenging but feel I am settled into uni now, its my first university exams (never had any in semester 1 for my course)

so my reply probably wasn't that helpful then. sorry.

I don't know much about uni exams-my course has 1 in the whole course, which we had In January, and I get so many exam arrangements now I have no clue what it's like for anyone else anymore.
    But, I hope they go well for you.

so my reply probably wasn't that helpful then. sorry.

I don't know much about uni exams-my course has 1 in the whole course, which we had In January, and I get so many exam arrangements now I have no clue what it's like for anyone else anymore.
    But, I hope they go well for you.

No it's a good point :) thanks.

I'm getting a smaller room for exams due to my anxiety, thankfully - so I'll just be in with a few people who have special arrangements. This makes me feel at ease in itself , im going to go up to my exam rooms to look I'm before the exam - I like to be familiar with my surroundings , puts me at ease.

Thanks and good luck for your exams too!

I feel I tend to forget a lot I studied a while back, which is frustrating and although I study in advance (if I can) I actually feel I take in more a few days before the exam, ironically.
    I could cry right now ........these lecture notes are confusing me :S
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hey apandav. How are you doing today? What was it about the notes yesterday which confused you? Perhaps taking a break when you feel like this would clear your mind - is there something short, but different you could do?
    Cat88 wrote: »
    Hey apandav. How are you doing today? What was it about the notes yesterday which confused you? Perhaps taking a break when you feel like this would clear your mind - is there something short, but different you could do?

Hi I'm okay, I guess studying going okayish but whether I remember the stuff I've been learning is another story :/

That's what I did yesterday, it's just this content of a particular lecture I found confusing but I've just moved on instead, think I'd rather focus on stuff I understand
    Has covered all my notes for this one exam in particular and I barley know any of it- I can recall bits in multiple choice but no way can I do these full answer questions :/ its frustrating as I do recognise it but I keep getting mixed up- this exam is a week on Wednesday :S