Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Book Club Nominations for April: Inspirational Women

plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey guys,

So as decided in our other thread, the theme for April will be Inspirational Women, given that last week we had International Women's Day.

The idea for this thread is that we can all nominate books (max. 2 each) with this theme. We will then have a poll to decide which book.

When you're submitting the nominations, please include the title, a link to where the book can be bought (preferably both in paper and e-reader format of choice), a short blurb and most importantly *why* you're nominating the book!

Nominations will be open until Wednesday 23rd March.

As ever, everyone is welcome so don't worry if you haven't posted in the other thread - feel free to get involved :thumb:

Happy nominating :yippe:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Question. The book I wanted to nominate is £10 even on Kindle. I feel that it's a bit too much to suggest, but it is also a very good book. Opinions?
  • Options
    I'm erring on the side of recommending it but making it known that it is a tenner. I'd like to keep book club as accessible as possible so this could be a barrier to taking part. Is it a new release? I wonder if there are second hand copies on eBay/it's in libraries?

What do the rest of you guys think?
  • Options
    I can't pay a tenner for a book right now but I don't mind missing out on this month if everyone else is okay with that price :)
  • Options
    I'll nominate it just so anyone who is interested can check it out, because it is a good book, but I'll choose something else as well :)
  • Options
    I'd rather not pay that much either. But yeah, please post it. I'm sure someone may want to have a look at it.
  • Options
    ​First one is In Order to Live by Yeonmi Park (on Amazon here).
    'I am most grateful for two things: that I was born in North Korea, and that I escaped from North Korea.'
    Yeonmi Park was not dreaming of freedom when she escaped from North Korea. She didn't even know what it meant to be free. All she knew was that she was running for her life, that if she and her family stayed behind they would die - from starvation, or disease, or even execution.
    This book is the story of Park's struggle to survive in the darkest, most repressive country on earth; her harrowing escape through China's underworld of smugglers and human traffickers; and then her escape from China across the Gobi desert to Mongolia, with only the stars to guide her way, and from there to South Korea and at last to freedom; and finally her emergence as a leading human rights activist - all before her 21st birthday.

I got this book for Xmas last year and although it's quite a hard read in terms of subject matter, it was really interesting, shocking and really shows what North Korea is like. Note. It is £10 so probably not the best for bookclub, but definitely worth checking out, and she's done a few talks that are on YouTube too if you wanted to have a watch.

​Second book is probably quite obvious but I read it when I was younger and have been looking for an excuse to re-read it!
    The Diary of Anne Frank (here)
    Anne Frank and her family fled the horrors of Nazi occupation by hiding in the back of a warehouse in Amsterdam for two years with another family and a German dentist. Aged thirteen when she went into the secret annexe, Anne kept a diary. She movingly revealed how the eight people living under these extraordinary conditions coped with hunger, the daily threat of discovery and death and being cut off from the outside world, as well as petty misunderstandings and the unbearable strain of living like prisoners. The Diary of a Yong Girl is a timeless true story to be rediscovered by each new generation. For young readers and adults it continues to bring to life Anne's extraordinary courage and struggle throughout her ordeal.

Like I said, I really enjoyed this last time I read it but I think I was probably a bit young so I'd definitely like to give it another go!
  • Options
    louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    I was thinking either
    [h=3]'I Am Malala' by Malala Yousafzai[/h] Not even an assassin’s bullet could keep Malala quiet. Though few thought she would recover, shot in the head by the Taliban when she was just 15, Malala has surpassed all expectations, writing her story and continuing to champion the cause of education for women all all over the world. Malala is inspiration personified.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0316322423?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0316322423&linkCode=xm2&tag=bustle-20

OR

(can't remember the name of the other one. ill find it when i get home) x
  • Options
    Let's do me a huge favour and read my exam text (Jane Eyre) because I've still not read it!!!:blush::crying:
  • Options
    Nominations will be closing this evening and I'll put a poll up to vote!

If anyone has any last-minute suggestions please post them here today :D
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    *bump* not read in a while, going to give this book club a shot, have too much time to fill lol :) the nominations do sound interesting :yes: