Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Apple security

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
So, a lot of you may have heard about the new proposed changes to the way Apple manages data protection. After a recent terrorist attack in San Bernardino last December, "the FBI announced that it was unable to unlock one of the mobile phones they recovered, a county-owned iPhone 5C used by one of the shooters, due to its advanced security features. As a result, the FBI asked Apple Inc. to create a new version of the phone's iOS operating system that could be installed and run in the phone's random access memory to disable certain security features." -Wikipedia (because they word things so concisely)

Following this, a friend of mine linked this Apple customer letter to me the other day and I'm pretty impressed with how firm their stance is on this whole situation. I was wondering if any of you had received or read the letter, and had any thoughts on it? Or perhaps more general thoughts on how you would like data protection to work? :chin:
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I'm glad Apple are doing this. We all have a right to privacy and for people to not go snooping around in our data. Frankly I'm concerned that a government would ask.

I can see why they would want to do it - because there are holes in the story they need to plug and this can only be done by breaking down the security of the phone. I also understand the argument that if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear - but quite frankly the level of data collected about us all these days is beginning to terrify me.

Personally, I think there are levels of data that you should be able to collect - e.g. Number of messages sent to someone, phone calls made and length of these - this has already been available for years. But the exact content? No.