Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sexting!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey Everyone,

Is Sexting(in any way)illegal for adults to do?

Thanks

Hannah

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey Hannah, not it wouldn't be illegal unless there was some kind of bullying going on. But do remember to be careful what you share :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I need to be careful.We all do.

I've already made the mistake though.I'm stupid I know x
    I'm sensing regret from your previous post but do correct me if I'm wrong - I just wanted to check how you're doing? I hope you're okay *hug*
    I'm sensing regret from your previous post but do correct me if I'm wrong - I just wanted to check how you're doing? I hope you're okay *hug*

You're not wrong there-You are right Hun. I don't know how I am-Feeling empty and numb atm x
    Thank you for asking, and how are you?
    Hey @HannahBannanna

This article has some good info on sexting, it's illegal to send sexual images if you're under 18 but if you're over 18 then it's okay:
    [h=2]What about sending naked photos to each other, or sexy messages?
    Yes – loads of people do it, but you’re actually breaking two laws. Any sexy photo of someone under the age of 18 is considered a paedophilic image in the eyes of the law. And, sexy messages as well as photos could count as ‘sexual activity’ in the age of consent law. So, if either of you is under 18, it’s considered illegal – even though you can have actual sex at 16.
    [/h]
    Hi Jo,

Thank you for sharing that information with me that you found.

I am 19 but feel like I've done something wrong by sexting/flirting/sending pics...Would you say that's wrong in any way at 19?

Thank you,
    Hi there :yippe:,

It sounds like you've been having a really emotional time at the moment and done something that you possibly may regret. I think it's key to remember that we all do things we regret in life and make mistakes, as that's part of being human (unfortunately!). However in regards to your sexting obviously if it's illegal it's bad but over the age restrictions, I think it really depends on the person, one person may be 19 and think it's completely fine whereas somebody who is 30 may find it really distressing and feel guilty for what they have done, so I don't think there really is a "right" or "appropriate" age but it depends on the individual.

I would say you should be careful and only send a picture/ text etc. if you feel comfortable in doing it and feel confident in what the recipient may do with it. There is lots of support out there such as articles on TheSite like Jo7, but if you feel you need a bit more support then perhaps Brook may be useful which has a text, and webchat option available.

But generally I think one of seeing the situation is how you would you see it if your friend told you that it happened to them, i.e. instead of being judgemental and feeling like they've done something "wrong" instead just see it as a mistake that lots of people make everyday!

Hope I helped and you feel better soon!

Perhaps remember -

tumblr_nvt1jvJRTj1ut1kpfo1_500.png
  • ShatteredSecretsShatteredSecrets Posts: 186 Helping Hand
    Hi Jo,

Thank you for sharing that information with me that you found.

I am 19 but feel like I've done something wrong by sexting/flirting/sending pics...Would you say that's wrong in any way at 19?

Thank you,

Hey Hann, as long as the person you have shared this with or sent this too is 18 or over it is totally fine and acceptable. tbh I used to feel this way but its important to remember you need to be aware of what you are sending and to protect yourself. My only advice would be if you are not 100% sure about it just dont do it.. however if you feel you have to or you want to, then ensure there are no identifying details within your messages/pictures/videos

I am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

Hey, I have not been able to come on here for a while now due to a variety of reasons and so I am sorry for having replied later to you both here :(

The person is also over 18, like I am. I do always try to make sure that there are no really personal or identifiable details however sometimes that is on my mind a lot less.

Thank you both for your kind support and advice :)

Hannah