Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Housing Options Available

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Everyone,

I have posted this twice now but each time the topic has gone off track and onto other issues-I am posting it again as I really do need some help and advice...

I am 19 years old and live with my large family (none extended, just lots of brother and sisters and parents) and I feel trapped and suffocated, I am not allowed to do many things and live like a child in several ways. I am the oldest of all my brothers and sisters and constantly argue with my parents and siblings too. I suffer with diagnosed mental health issues and have been through a LOT, of which I hide all from my family and can't let them know. I work 4 days a week and am on NO benefits at all-Each and every penny I have and own have come from what I have earned myself through my job. This isn't a great wage and I'm on NO benefits, which makes my housing options lower.

I guess what I;m asking here, what housing options do I have considering my age/financial situation and health issues?

Thank you guys xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Private renting is probably your only option. You have somewhere to live, therefore, the council don't have a duty to house you.
    There are more reasons for this although I can't say them here.

They would/should have a duty.
    There are more reasons for this although I can't say them here.

They would/should have a duty.

I'd agree with melian and say you're only option is probably private renting, but we can't really say as we don't know all the facts and stuff.
    They have priorities over other people with much higher needs to house first.
    I wish the order of needs was made available to access--Or is it?

I should be entitled since I'm resident here and have been all my life.Don't work that way though, despite that or my many reasons either😢💔😡

Thank you for replying x
    Thank you!I'll take a look on that now xx
    On your council website, it should give information on how they give points or bands. Living there all your life makes no difference.

Even if you are entitled, you may end up waiting years.
    I won't say the REAL reason why I, a WB resident here, would be waiting for years and years.

I will have a look at my local council website x
    I won't say the REAL reason why I, a WB resident here, would be waiting for years and years.

I will have a look at my local council website x

The real reason why you, a WB resident, would have to be waiting so long is because there are many people, lots of those which are also WB residents, is because there are merely not enough houses and the council need to deal with housing in order of priority. So, a WB resident with a young child/baby who's been made homeless will be considered higher priority than you, as you currently have a house to live in. You've not been kicked out, you probably won't be considered a priority unless you're made homeless tbh
    The reason there are not enough housing is due to the reason I won't say.They're linked together.

It's stupid I won't be considered.It really is!People come into this country and have things handed to them.Argh I'm getting over passionate again:s
    The reason there are not enough housing is due to the reason I won't say.They're linked together.

It's stupid I won't be considered.It really is!People come into this country and have things handed to them.Argh I'm getting over passionate again:s

It doesn't work like that. You have somewhere to live. You have a job. Why not private rent? Council don't give flats to young people wanting to move out. They give them to people who need somewhere to live.
    I don't particularly want to move out.I need to.Ill make myself homeless literally if necessary!

Those on benefits have MUCH more money than me and I fucking work?!
    If you make yourself homeless on purpose, they don't have to help you.
    I couldn't actually do that but probably wouldn't have the guts to BUT it's fucking ridiculous!It really is!

Im on NO benefits at all AND earn less money than what most are given in benefits 😡😡
    I don't particularly want to move out.I need to.Ill make myself homeless literally if necessary!

Those on benefits have MUCH more money than me and I fucking work?!

A lot of those people on benefits are physically unable to work. Don't be so quick to judge
    I'm not quick to judge!!I know!!!!!!
    Maybe you need to understand the difference between want and need. The way the council will see is, you have somewhere to live, therefore, they have no duty to house you. There are more people who need housing than there are houses. I had to wait 2 years to get somewhere, despite my parents house being unsuitable for me, which I had to point out several times. I was at constant risk of falling down their steps whenever I went out and crossing the road was pretty dangerous too. I only got somewhere suitable to live after making complaint and pointing out yet again that my parents house has half a dozen steps to their house. My access needs state no more than 3 steps.

And yeah, I claim benefits and don't work. But that's because I have severe disabilities which prevent me from working. Maybe you should be greateful that you are able to work and are able to simple everyday things such as read and hear properly.

The council will just tell you to look at private housing if you're that desparate to move out that.
    Hiccup wrote: »

A lot of those people on benefits are physically unable to work. Don't be so quick to judge
    That's not 100-% true and you'd be surprised how many abuse that!
    Melian,

You're entitled to your opinion but it is false
    😡😡😡😡😡
    That's not 100-% true and you'd be surprised how many abuse that!

It is though.. Did you know that the government save more money from those who don't claim benefits they're entitled to to cover the minority of people who are fraudulent. There are a few people who do abuse the benefit system, but it's not as many as everyone makes out
    Melian,

You're entitled to your opinion but it is false

Fun fact.. opinions cannot in fact be false
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Hey guys,

I just wanted to interject here and say that debates about benefits, or anything for that matter, should be kept in the Politics & Debate forum. These are great discussions with a lot of valid points that need to happen, but let's keep this space about the options available rather than the ones that aren't/why they aren't. :)

You can visit Citizens' Advice Bureau for free legal advice and information; Hiccup's signpost to Shelter earlier was also a great one. :yes: Did you get a chance to check that one out, @HannahBannanna?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Have you considered how you're going to afford to move out? It cost me £1300 to move out! Oh, and look up the stats for fraud it's about 0.5%. Don't be so quick to judge.

You've then got bills to pay which aren't cheap either. You won't get benefits either because of your age.
    Maybe this thread should be deleted again..:banghead::banghead::crying::crying:
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Maybe this thread should be deleted again..:banghead::banghead::crying::crying:

Hey Hannah,

It sounds like things might have gotten a bit off topic, but it seems like you could really use some support around your housing situation. You're welcome to talk about that as much as you need to here. :) Did you get a chance to look at the Shelter link mentioned previously?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Hello there Mike,

I have looked at the website but couldn't get my head round the content, as silly as that sounds :s

I do need support with this but my factual opinions seem to be getting in the way again :(