Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"the talk" do parents ever get it right?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Chatting to your mum or dad about sex - or any family member for that matter. Is it something you feel comfortable doing or does even the thought of it make you turn red? :o:no:

I had always found it difficult to talk to my parents about sex...It just used to make me cringe! But my sister has a really close relationship with my mum and they can talk about anything! She says it's because she's older and they've got past the "birds and the bees" awkwardness.

Has anyone else found that it's got easier to talk to their mum or dad now they're older? Anyone like my sister have a "go to" person in their family they can always speak to about sex?

Comments

• apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    I find these conversations awkward enough with my friends, never mind family but I get embarrassed very easily.

One notably awkward situation, was on my 15th birthday I watched bridesmaids with my parents (which has quite a graphic sex scene right at the beginning, my dad said he felt embarrassed and my mum was like I'd be worried if she didn't know what was happening, I sat there in silence, trying not to look at the TV......super awkward!)
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Hi.
    I am less awkward with the sex talk than I used to be. Me and my mum were always very open about sex, periods, etc. I've actually never had the full on sex talk with my parents (school mainly taught me). I've also looked up certain information online but that's not always the best idea. I'm definitely less awkward and my go to person is my mum for this stuff.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Never had the sex talk but I remember a horribly awkward session where my mum was instructing me to use tampons. Never again.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Exactly the same here Kate. Sometimes those chats are awkwardness on a whole new level. LOL.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't think my mum's ever talked about sex with me, apart from one time when I was about 16 and she told me I wasn't ready for sex, she was glad I was a virgin, and if I was pregnant she'd encourage me to get an abortion. Super awkward, because I wasn't a virgin and I felt horrible lying to her, she hasn't mentioned sex once since, and made my ex sleep on the floor during a visit, despite everyone being fully consenting adults at the time. It hasn't got easier, I just would NEVER talk to my mum about sex. She'd probably throw holy water in my face and tell me to go and get married.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey @SarahCl , that's an interesting thread!! It can get really tricky and awkward to have these topics brought out around the family!

You mention your sister and mum are able to chat about sex because they are close - how is your relationship with your mum? Do you feel you will be able to open up to her about sex eventually? If not, do you feel able to chat to your sister about it?

Sometimes the hardest is getting that first sex chat over and done with, and then with time it can become awkward! :yes: