Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Quick and Easy (Or Healthy) Recipes!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello!! :wave:
I'm looking to start cooking so I can control what I eat better. Usually I stick to things in a box or things my family makes, but I'm ready to actually take matters into my own hands. I've been looking already but I hate blindly finding recipes and wasting my time on things that don't actually taste good or look like the do in the pictures. If anyone has found anything that they'd recommend that would be great!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can add anything to a basic tomato sauce (meat, fish, pasta, different veg, whatever you feel like really.)

Fry up some onion and garlic in olive oil, and then add a tin of chopped tomatoes, some basil, salt and pepper and a teaspoon of sugar, and keep stirring it until it's thick and nice. You can make litres of it all at once, keep it frozen, and then use it for whatever you want.
    Thanks Grace!

I've taken what you said and actually tried it. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for quick and easy homemade snacks!
    Snacks? Like...you can make your own hummus (chickpeas, spices etc. all bashed up, doesn't take long) and then have it with carrot or celery sticks or something.

You can make your own muffins (these will freeze too so you can make lots at once for convenience) or flapjacks, oat bars or something like that. More effort than shop bought ones, but in the shops, things like that will have a huge amount of sugar in and you can put a lot less or use stevia instead when doing your own.

Fruit is obviously quick and easy. Bananas are more calorific than most fruits but they'll keep you fuller for longer.

Popcorn (not the microwaveable cinema-type bags. You should be able to find a bag of maize in the supermarket very cheap, pop a lot at once in a little bit of butter over a low heat, salt it a tiny bit when it's done, and take a few handfuls in a ziploc bag for a snack.

Any of your normal meals can be a snack if you only have a little bit of it.
    Thanks so much!

Making homemade snacks can get a little pricy but I totally think its worth it especially when trying to eat better! I took your suggestion and found a great hummus recipe, if your interested I recommend going on pinterest I found the recipe on there! Would be happy to share it with you :)