Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Friday night - concerns about friend smoking

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
Hi guys, me and a couple other friends went up friends house on Friday one of them being my best friend. Everything was fine until they went out for a fag. I don't smoke and never have and up until that night I had no idea my best friend had started. Now if it was just an ordinary fag (tobacco) I would have been slightly shocked but thought nothing of it. But they were smoking weed. I can't be believe it and she then she told me shed been on it since she was with her bf so its been a couple of months. She said she doesn't smoke it often but she never told me because she didn't want to disappoint me.

I am disappointed she's smoking weed because she has never been like that. I'm more hurt she never told me :/. I told her it was up to her if she did it or not, but to be truthful seeing how it effected her behaviour even though it was only slightly was quite hard for me. A few others were snorting what I think was cocaine and it was all just a bit awkward. I still had a good time just having a couple of drinks. But I was a bit shocked that my friend would do that. I know its her choice but what if this "on occasion" becomes more and more often.

I can't exactly show her I'm disappointed in her because 1 I want to be there for her if anything was to happen 2 the reason she didn't tell me was because of upsetting me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey @One-in-a-million,

It's clear that you are concerned about your friend smoking and the effects it might have on her behaviour and her safety. It's also understandable that you feel disappointed that she hadn't told you about it, considering she is your best friend, although she didn't want to upset you either. Perhaps she might acknowledge it if you were to express your concern?

It sounds like it may be something she does in social situations at the moment, rather than an every day thing - does that sound about right? As you say though, ultimately it is her decision, and it's important to take care of yourself around potentially harmful drugs as well as being aware of laws on drugs :yes:
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Thank you for replying, I think it was more of a shock than anything else. I get that its her decision I just worry about her a lot as we are very close. I'm not 100% in the know with drugs and I was wondering hold long does the effects on the body and mind last for? And also if it can cause me any harm via the air (like passive smoking)

She did say she only did it on occasions but I obviously can't be 100% sure. It difficult because I also worry about getting into any trouble should the police find out considering there was more than cannabis going on (cocaine) even though she wasn't taking that I've been told before that if you don't report drug use it can also go on your record and due to my type of job anything on my record would loose me my job and future jobs in that career path. (I would never snitch on my friend though)

Thanx

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    The Frank website have a useful section on weed, but weed affects different people in different ways, and the lengh of how long it will affect someone will also vary, and also, how much she actually had to smoke - but I wouldn't worry too much abot it, exspecally if she's doing it as a more social thing and allows the body to relax a lot more - http://www.talktofrank.com/drug/cannabis

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would be more alarmed about tobacco than weed as tobacco/nicotene is addictive and poisonious. Weed is a plant that has been smoked for thousands of years.. long term use can create issues such a dependancy and unknown mental illness but the more funding and research we put into medical marijuana the more understanding of the plant and effects we will have
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @ThirdEye,

This thread is 8 months old now, so I'm going to close it. You're welcome to start your own threads on similar topics and/or post in more recent ones if you like (this sounds like something that might be good for our Politics & Debate forum?), but we tend to leave old thread in their graves. You can find a bit more about these sorts of unspoken rules, or netiquette, in our Good Manners Guide. wink.gif

Great to see you posting!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
This discussion has been closed.