Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Does anyone receive help from social services?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,
Long time no post! So I hope everyone on here is doing well!
I have come a long way in my aspergers diagnosis and I haven't had any help for it. Does anyone on here who has Aspergers/Autism have any help from Social services and if so what kind of help can they give?
I don't know if I would meet their criteria. I have bad anxiety and panic attacks.
Thanks a lot *hug*

X

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi there,

I don't think we've spoken on here before? I'm Hannah, nice to meet you :)

If you have been diagnosed with aspergers then why have you not been receiving any help or support with it? That's unacceptable really and with any diagnosis should come support, though sadly this is not the way it tends to work a lot of the time.

Maybe speak to your local GP or give your local services a call for some advice and for them to answer your queries and help you identify the best way forward for yourself?

Hannah
    It doesn't work like that, Hannah.

I did receive "help" - which involved me having a meltdown (due to them completely ignoring my needs and then giving me a lecture) and then refusing to work with me. They somehow decided that despite me having hearing problems, (my hearing is too sensitive and I don't process noise the way other people do, which means instead of filtering noises, it goes into one loud horrible noise) they'd still take me to places where there were large groups of people. My response, knowing what was going to happen, was just to walk out. I was then (they were aware at this point about my hearing problems) given a lecture. They actually told me I would have to find a job, despite being found unfit for work.

They would also routinely give me really short notice for appointments. Including the one where they had 2 weeks to get in touch with me to arrange something. They gave me 30 minutes notice, according to my voicemail. Because no-one had been in touch within those 2 weeks, I'd made other plans.

I've never had a good experience with social services, ever. I was told they would help me with things like relationships and moving. I never got help with either of those things. They also told me that because I had somewhere to live, (it wasn't suitable for me) I won't get a council flat. I did, eventually.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Echo Melian, their really isn't much support for those on the lower end of the autistic spectrum for adults, therefore anyone with an autism diagnosis who is an adult is fucked, even if social services did get involved, it would probaberbly do more harm than good, but anxiety wise, I would take therapy route? Is there specific support you were looking for? Has social services been suggested to you? Or?
    Hello!
    Thanks for all your replies. Yep it's been suggested to me. But I do have problems engaging with new services and end up having to leave that's the main problem. I have been quite reluctant to say yes to any assessments as well because I see it ending up the same sort of way other things have. I agree with you WhispersOfTheHeart because I don't have a learning disability and neither will they take what problems I have serious so I am in a rut.
    Hmmm! :/
    We fall between mental health and learning disability. The criteria for learning disability is IQ under 70, which means they refer us to mental health. Yet, not all of us have mental health problems.

I generally found they didn't take my problems seriously either. It's things like meeting new people. For most people, that's a pretty easy thing to do. But for me, it's not. They then labeled me as awkward because I couldn't do most of the things they wanted me to do. Most of the things they wanted me to do, (the everyday things most people can do) are actually quite painful. And it's not quite as simple as just going out.
    Hey,

I understand this.Perhaps write it all down and make sure they know exactly how this is making you feel?There will be something/a service out there which can help you and you'll get there xx

Melian,most people do not find meeting new people easy.They really don't
    No you don't understand. You don't understand what it's like to not be able to set foot in a room because the noise will just make you completely non-verbal, which by the way, is fucking scary. There are no services for adults with Autism. The way it works is, if you're a child with Autism, there's a lot of help out there for you and your parents. if you're an adult, it's assumed that you've adapted. Except, most of us haven't. I am still having to learn at almost 27 how to communicate. I'm still having to learn when to say when something isn't right.

Meeting people when you're Autistic is completely different. Especially when most of your senses don't work how they should. I don't think I know many other people who walk into a room and look for the nearest exit. I've left every group (apart from one) I've joined over the years either because of the noise or because of the amount of people there. My social life currently involves visiting my parents every weekend and talking to a friend for half an hour or so on Skype once a week.
    Yes,I do understand.I know three people in exactly this same position and two of those are in fact related to me!

Despite that,many find meeting people hard,in their own way!
    Which doesn't mean you understand. Having a relative with Autism and living the condition yourself is completely different.
    Okay.Different in a way,but not completely

Hope you're alright!o
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Like guys...autism affects different people in different ways.

Okay, back to you Sonia, what do you want from social then? Like support wise? Is it the mental health side of your autism, or the more, getting out there aspect? - I guess it's really down to you, to decide what path you want to take from here, everyone has different experiances with social, for example yours might be completely different to Melians, and vice versa.

Like, honestly though, the adult autism support for those not on the higher end of the spectrum is dreadful, but not always useless, they can work with you on battling menal health related issues, causes, etc...Again, by offering you therapy, and if they aren't dicks, they should get how difficult it is to open up in general and more so because you're on the spectrum, again however, your choice, but we are here to support you.

Not all services are the same, some are okay, some are terrible, and some are great, we just gotta give it ago.
    There might be a support group in your area. However, these are peer led and aren't subs for any counselling or other therapy you need. They may be able to point you in the direction of support you may need.
    They don't offer it to us. Well young people do get help and support. Especially children. You are right Melian. I agree with what you've said. My main problem is understanding what people are expressing or saying. I find if very difficult to engage with 'services' it's always been this way. I guess I was hoping that they would be able to find a way to help with these things, I have Been in mental health for a long long time on and of and they just give me CBT. Obviously I find that very hard. It's hard to have to work out what they want you to do to get better.
    I am back at therapy tomorrow so will find out more I guess. When you don't have support because your classed as fine and intelligent I guess it's stupid to even get a diagnosis. That's my opinion. No one out there understands like another person with aspergers what it is that we find difficult. I don't know what they think that I can do to help myself when I've tried and tried with everything. It's when things get to much I feel under constant pressure from people.
    I will have a look at support groups. Any I've seen so far haven't been in my area. They are out and any there are for children and their parents which kind of defeats the whole purpose of people having aspergers.
    I've never had support because I'm supposedly intelligent. Yet, as my parents will tell you, (which involved a very awkward conversation with my dad) I've also got some serious issues with relationships. Like you, I've got problems understanding what people are saying and it's not always obvious what some peoples intentions really are.
    Ditto! It's so so so hard I tell you! So update.. I am apparently eligible for a assessment which is everyone's right. I have also been told not to expect support because of certain thresholds. Well because I have Aspergers so if depends on me entirely and my needs. I will keep u updated.
    At the moment Melian what support do you get if any?
    None at the moment. They won't work with me because I'm supposedly awkward to work with. (read: I won't do what they say, what they want me to do, which can be quite painful) I've never had a good experience with social services.

Everyone is supposedly entitled to an assessment, which I've never had. My social worker (who has now left and does something else) was absolutely fine. The woman who was meant to be my support worker was useless. She even decided I don't have Autism and it's anxiety I have. I know that CMHT sometimes get it wrong; but I and everyone else around me knows I meet the criteria.