Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Favourite book quotes?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey guyssss :)

Just wondered if anyone would like to share some of their favourite book quotes? I don't know if there's been a thread in the past but I loveee reading and would love to have somewhere to share my fave quotes :) Here's some of mine:

"But let me not hate and despise myself too much for these feelings; I know them to be wrong—that is a great step gained; I shall strive to overcome them. To-morrow, I trust, I shall get the better of them partially; and in a few weeks, perhaps, they will be quite subdued. In a few months, it is possible, the happiness of seeing progress, and a change for the better in my scholars may substitute gratification for disgust." - Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

"You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope, and without fear.
I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.” - Delirium, Lauren Oliver

“Hope can be bruised and battered. It can be forced underground and even rendered unconscious, but hope cannot be killed.” - UnSouled, Neal Shusterman

“There are so many ways to be brave in this world. Sometimes bravery involves laying down your life for something bigger than yourself, or for someone else. Sometimes it involves giving up everything you have ever known, or everyone you have ever loved, for the sake of something greater.

But sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes it is nothing more than gritting your teeth through pain, and the work of every day, the slow walk toward a better life.
That is the sort of bravery I must have now.” - Allegiant, Veronica Roth

Enchanted x
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heya Again :)

These are some lovely quotes :)

I used to love reading but don't even realty have the motivation or energy to do that anymore :S For many reasons :S

I will post mine here when I can remember them though.

Nice thread idea :)

Hannah x
    [h=1]I think this is my all time fave.. always come back to it :)

"Take down the walls.
    That is, after all, the whole point.
    You do not know what will happen if you take down the walls; you cannot see through to the other side, don't know whether it will bring freedom or ruin, resolution or chaos. It might be paradise or destruction.
    Take down the walls.
    Otherwise you must live closely, in fear, building barricades against the unknown, saying prayers against the darkness, speaking verse of terror and tightness.
    Otherwise you may never know hell; but you will not find heaven, either. You will not know fresh air and flying.
    All of you, wherever you are: in your spiny cities, or your one bump towns. Find it, the hard stuff, the links of metal and chink, the fragments of stone filling you stomach.
    And pull, and pull, and pull.
    I will make a pact with you: I will do it if you will do it, always and forever.
    Take down the walls."
    [/h] Requiem - Lauren Oliver
    Hey, that's a pretty amazing book quote and no wonder why it's one you keep coming back to x
    "Tereza was suddenly reminded of her mother: that perverse need one has to expose one's ruins, one's ugliness, to parade one's misery, to uncover the stump of one's amputated arm and force the whole world to look at it." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

Someone compared me to a human version of a raw wound, long before I read this book (it wasn't as insulting as it sounds), and then when I read it, that line struck a chord with me.
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Wanted to share this quote, I thought was cool. Just discovered it whilst reading Flawed by Cecelia Ahern - "When the lows are so immense, the victories are small. But they are there despite it. You just have to know them when you see them, little pockets of light and hope hidden away in darkness."