Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Careers to avoid

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
It's all about the research guys.....and don't believe everything people tell you.

I can tell you at least one occupation to avoid.....journalism....it's a dying profession. They are selling 1/4 of the papers they were 10 years ago. Don't be talked into doing a college course because they will say anything to get you to sign up!! Colleges make me laugh when they say 'We need to start another group' - All they care about is whether they are going to be shut down. They have axed A Levels at my local college - and they are one of the top in the country. Another seems to be IT! Don't believe them when they say there are thousands of jobs out there - it's all a load of crap. Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9DrYZNciUw

It would be great if you could share your experiences with dying professions

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's all about the research guys.....and don't believe everything people tell you.

Lol. I took this into account before reading this thread, which is quite clearly complete bull.

It is barely a dying profession, with the world becoming more tech based IT is one of the most required skills
    Hiccup wrote: »

Lol. I took this into account before reading this thread, which is quite clearly complete bull.

It is barely a dying profession, with the world becoming more tech based IT is one of the most required skills

You obviously have some personal interest in these professions. Are you a lecturer or work in a college? You only need to go and talk to local newsagents or local newspaper distributors. My local newspaper were employing 220 people 10 years ago....now they employ 20.

If you are convinced about IT being a good profession read this (if the video above has not convinced you) https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.nitlc.com

I can provide more links but I suspect you have some personal affiliation with the IT profession so you are manipulating the situation to your advantage
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion

You obviously have some personal interest in these professions. Are you a lecturer or work in a college? You only need to go and talk to local newsagents or local newspaper distributors. My local newspaper were employing 220 people 10 years ago....now they employ 20.

If you are convinced about IT being a good profession read this (if the video above has not convinced you) https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.nitlc.com

I can provide more links but I suspect you have some personal affiliation with the IT profession so you are manipulating the situation to your advantage

So paper-based traditional journalism may employ far fewer people than previously, but digital journalism is now growing massively and the way forward.

I'm sorry that you've had some kind of bad experience making you bitter but you have no right to make these posts.
    It's true, journalism is changing but it's all about adapting and as @plugitin says, digital journalism is huge. I know lots of journalists doing really well at this so it's important to show the positive side to these careers too. It's not all doom and gloom luckily!

I've got no interest in any of these subjects, so no, I'm not manipulating any situation. Maybe you've been rejected from these jobs so you're manipulating the facts, who knows.

theonethatgotaway = from looking at your profile and the replies you've made, complete bs (most of them).

There are plenty of IT-based jobs around my area and the country. Some of which I've applied for
    Journalism is something which is seen differently by different people and in actual fact this can also depend on the local area we live in, the population of that area and how it is done etc etc.

IT jobs are one of the most common around too! x