Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should you be a teacher?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
In the worst recession ever (something like 12 million been made redundant now) there is a shortage of teachers. So why? Strikes over pay and pensions, the threat of accusations, long hours for low pay. Okay you get 12 weeks holiday but I don't think being a teacher is that great. Why are over 80% of teachers now female? Please don't say 'some occupations attract females or males' because it never used to be dominated by females. Why is it that most of the videos on youtube will not let you comment on them? Obviously something they don't want you to know

Some videos for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GRsSMyhc3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpXqmFqb6F8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie-WhY74X3g (especially this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La9tsir1WYU

This might even happen to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgn341ZGaHQ

INTERESTING FACT - 50% OF TEACHERS LEAVE THE PROFESSION WITHIN FIVE YEARS

Watch this series on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3nTfHXxl1A&list=FLJ11ggBWFCFD8eLz2TfKa9Q&index=164 (Tough young teachers)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    What is the point in all these negative threads? You aren't doing anyone a public service by talking negatively about some jobs.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    plugitin wrote: »
    What is the point in all these negative threads? You aren't doing anyone a public service by talking negatively about some jobs.

Ahhh but I am you see if no-one applies it will force the government to address these issues. Did you even read the post? If no-one applies to be a teacher websites will be blocked cuts to pensions will not be made and they would not be forcing teachers to work harder by trying to abolish school holidays. It might result in some under qualified teachers but that's what the tories want

I would love to be positive but unfortunately the tories are in power and everyone suffers.

50% of teachers regret going into the occupation at all - that's good is it? One of the teaching courses at my local college has a 40% drop out rate - what a waste of time for those people
    I work in a school myself and strongly disbelieve your post(s)here x
    I work in a school myself and strongly disbelieve your post(s)here x

I think the evidence I have provided will convince most people here. The internet speaks for itself. You probably disbelieve me because you are female. It's says it that programme (tough young teachers) that 50% of teachers quit within five years - hardly a career.

Also I understand that they have even more of a problem recruiting head teachers than they do teachers. One of the ways they got around the shortage is by increasing the pay - £65K I think? It's all about manipulation. How many teachers now are not qualified to do the job? I think you would be surprised about what the tories are saying behind closed doors and the plans they have. We are going back to the times when only the rich can read and write.

Be interesting if you could explain yourself a little more instead of just one sentence.
    You are being sexist and disrespectful there in saying that I disbelieve you because I am female! That is most definitely not the reason why I don't believe you. I don't believe you as this is not true. I should know-I actually work in a school myself! That statistic is not true either and across the country more and more teachers are beginning work as a teacher in a school and then not leaving until years later, for whatever reason and some people even start and retire work in the same school in which they started teaching/working at. Be careful what you believe on programmes like that which are designed to be biased really.Not all teachers are qualified to do the job no but there are many opportunities out there now including training while doing the job and also things such as Teach Firs etc

This is first hand information too as I work in a school!

I'm not being sexist at all! I just think you would have a different opinion if you were male. I'm not getting into an argument. Even teachers taught me 20 years ago told me they would not apply now. All the paper work they get....all the politically correct stuff. For anyone reading this

Speak to teachers and others on yahoo discussion forum
    Go to your local college and universities and enquire about drop out rates on teaching courses (for some reason whatuni will not record these....I wonder why?) My local college has a 40% drop out rate on their teaching course
    Contact the teachers union to find out information
    The internet is a great research tool but always question why you are being gagged with what you can say

Some more evidence

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/aug/06/teachers-leave-profession-early
    http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2013/aug/01/why-are-teachers-leaving-education
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3020580/More-40-new-teachers-leave-profession-12-months-Excessive-workload-blamed-number-quit-triples-six-years.html

I think people reading this will have enough intelligence to research the internet using various search terms. Most of the teachers that taught me (primary and secondary) have left teaching. Half of them will be in their 40's now. I still speak to 4 of them and I've not asked why they have taken early retirement. It's certainly not a job for life anymore, not for most anyway.

My local college has a 40% drop out rate on their teaching course

Maybe that just says a lot about your college being pretty crappy?
    Yes, you have been sexist there!And there's no doubt about that.The links or whatever you've said there is your opinion and second hand but as I said-What I say and strongly believe is first hand and I actually work in a school myself so!!
    Hiccup wrote: »

Maybe that just says a lot about your college being pretty crappy?

You're more than likely right there x

You're more than likely right there x

Peterborough Regional College. Look it up. It's one of the top in the country. They have also axed A Levels, like other colleges have. Go to a large school and ask to speak to the teachers (that's if they will let you)

I'm guessing you work in a primary school where all the staff are female and the head teacher is struggling to get any applications to the vacancies advertised. That's what the tories want though. It will result in teachers that are not qualified doing the job of graduates

Don't take my word for it - Go on indeed.com there are endless teaching vacancies. Search 'Teaching vacancies'

Lastly go on to reed.co.uk Most of the teaching jobs on there have no applicants (except from teaching assistants/under qualified teachers in other words)

The internet is great for exposing the truth
    Yes,in some instances internet is great but hardly for exposing the truth as it's very biased.Only great at helping to expose the truth when backed solid evidence and not opinions.

Will you stop being so sexist and so disrespectful?!Gender has nothing to do with this and more and more males are also becoming teachers these days.Yes-I work in a primary school and no, there are not just female teachers obviously,there are also many male members of staff too!A lot of schools,including primary schools,employ male teachers as they believe in equality and diversity and are not sexist!

No!The school(s)I work in are most definitely not struggling with applications and in fact,often receive applications of kinds even when there's no job advertised.And this is not just what my school is like either.most are.

Of course there are countless teacher jobs going around still though and this is because where applicable,more and more schools are being built or made bigger for all of the immigrants/refugees etc we have coming here.The Uk is so great and accompany's them into a school(and house!!)more or less straight away therefore more teachers are often needed.

Never belittle or intimidate currently under qualified teachers as they will always be completing training or specific teaching courses at the same time and also never underestimate anyone who works in a school,or any other job at that.Do you work?!By the sounds of how you speak,you probably don't?

Again.this is all first hand information.Stop being so sexist disrespectful and wrong!
This discussion has been closed.