Homeā€ŗ Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so I've been feeling really crappy for like a really long time and recently I've been opening up a lot more to this boy and he keeps telling me I should talk to a doctor. I've told him I'll book an appointment but I really don't know if I need to or should. I mainly talk to him when I'm feeling low so I feel like he's only got one perspective because I can be happy sometimes so I don't know if I really need to see a doctor. I also really don't want my family to find out and I know the initial appointment would be confidential but from there I'm not sure on the rules of confidentiality with diagnosis and medication (if anyone knows please tell me). So basically I don't know how to either tell this guy I'm not booking an appointment/ if I should. Idk if this has made any sense sorry.

Comments

• Options
    Hey!
    As long as you are 16 or over then you are classed as an adult in terms of medical treatment etc so everything will be confidential and your family won't be told and even if they asked about it, your doctor couldn't say anything because of patient confidentiality. I'm not sure about it if you're under 16. I do however believe that they can break confidentiality if they believe that you are a very serious risk to yourself (for example if they believed that you was going to try and commit suicide).

It's completely up to you whether you decide to go or not but I'd say it is worth a shot because it could benefit you greatly getting help from a medical profession.

Hope this helps a bit x
  • Options
    Thank youuu. Yeah I'm under 16 but i think you're right about the confidentiality. I guess I have nothing to loose making an appointment, even if there's no follow up from it. Thanks again x
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hi Lucy, doctors and mental health services have to keep your confidentiality so they wouldn't be able to tell anyone that you went to see them and what for (unless it's an emergency situation where you're a danger to yourself or others). With regards to the boy, you don't have to tell him either. Some people find it easier to talk to people around them (e.g. friends or family) whilst others choose not to - it's your choice.

If you aren't sure what to say to your doctor, it might be worth writing a list of how you feel on a bad day and take that with you, or there is also an app called 'Doc Ready' (http://www.docready.org/#/home) which asks you some questions as a starting point of how you're feeling so you can start talking to your GP using what it has asked you.

Feel free to keep posting too :)
  • Options
    Hi Kate, thank you so much for responding.Okay I'm glad its all confidential that makes me feel a lot happier about making an appointment. And yeah you're right if i don't want to keep telling him about what's going on I don't have to, plus with so many supportive people on this site I don't think I'll need to.
    And thank you, that was another concern of mine but I'll make sure to make a list I think that will help a lot. And I'll be sure to check out that app too, thank you x
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Lucy.

Just wanted to say hope your doctors appointment works out. And feel free to continue to post here and let us know how your doing if you wanted too :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Hi, thank you that's so nice of you šŸ’• I will probably end up writing about how it goes thank youu x
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    It's okay :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Wishing you the best of luck. It's extremely brave of you to even consider going to the doctors :yes: do let us know how you get on *hug*
  • Options
    Thank you so much, that's so sweet šŸ’• will do x