Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Worried

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
Hi guys

Ive got to go for an MRI scan soon and to tell the truth Im terrified. Not about the scan but about the results.

It started when I was a baby really I was diagnosed with west syndrome (rare type of epilepsy) and was put on medication until I was 18 months old. The doctors told my parents that although I ha been cleared it could return as another form of epilepsy during puberty.

Around the age of 15 I started to have funny turns (hard to describe) which at first they said was migraine related (i get them a lot) but now 5 years on I am still getting them and they are getting worse so they have now decided they are going to do some tests as they think the epilepsy has returned.

I keep saying even if it is epilepsy that isn't going to make any changes to the previous 5 years I've had it. But really....... A diagnosis of epilepsy just seems really final and it may effect my ability (by law) to do certain things.

My other main concern is a lot of my symptoms also point to another possibility
"Brain tumor" I know its highly unlikely but I cant stop thinking about that possibility. What if it is? What if it started when I was 15 and its gone to far?

I told my parents i wasn't worried. Truth is whatever i have, I'm terrified :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey One-in-a-million,

I'm sorry to hear this - it's natural that you're worried about the outcome of the scan, and not knowing can cause all kinds of worrying thoughts and leave us fearing the worst. The good thing is that you are getting it checked out :yes:

Worrying about what we don't know is stressful, but sometimes having distractions to shift your thoughts can help. Is there anything that you think might help in the meantime?

If you don't feel able to talk to your parents, is there another family member, a friend or anyone you can talk to about how you're feeling?

You can keep talking to us on here if you need to *hug*
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Firstly big *hug* s

I can't imagine what you are going through and I think it would be only natural for anyone in your position to worry!

I wish you the best of luck for your test results- I hope its good!

In the meantime, and whatever the result may be just wanted to let you know that I'm here to listen!

My heart goes out to you at this tough time :heart:
    Amanda
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Not to sure what to say, but wanted to offer you *hug*s and to say good luck, and that we care and are here for you :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hi guys thank you for your support. I go for my scan sunday :/ I geuss i shouldnt really worry over the unknowen but i cant help
    It. I should know more soon.

Thank you so much everyone

Emma
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    It's okay Emma.

Feel free to let us know how you get on. :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Good Luck Emma :heart:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Being worried over the unknown is completely understandable. I hope all goes well.
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Thank you guys your support means a lot. I'm feeling better about it but still have times when I kinda over think and put myself In a bad mood :/
    So far I've had an EEG and a MRI scan and I'm waiting for results. In the meantime I've got another EEG appointment but this one is a sleep deprived one so I will need to be awake 24 hours before it.

Don't really have a friend I can talk to, I mean I have friends but everyone's got their own problems so don't wanna feel like I'm bothering them. Most of them seem to panic when I had a funny turn too. I guess it is kind of creepy when I seem to just stare/day dream and turn pail. But I was still aware of what was going on at the same time. Kinda makes it worse when people react like that. I told them I was ok as it lasted seconds but although it never did before its become a bit embarrassing

Thanks guys

P.s. sorry wanted to thank you but just needed a rant too

EmmaXx