Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nightmares

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello hope im posting in the right place.
I have been struggling for nightmares since march when something traumatic happened.
I wonder if anyone has any advice on how they coped with nightmares ?

many thanks
turtle

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried distracting yourself away from it and trying to think of different and more positive things?

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced something traumatic in March and I want you to know that we're all here for you if ever you need to talk
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello Turtle,

Great to see you on the boards again :wave: - I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with nightmares at the moment, it can often be difficult tearing yourself away from it. I wish I had an all round solution for it, but I don't, but the worst thing to do is keeping it all bottled up, there are people out there if you needed the help/support, and counselling can often be an option if you are really struggling with nightmares. If you do wake up in a panic, try taking a few deep breaths, reassure yourself that it was nothing but a nightmare.

If you do apporach your GP, it won't be a quick stick solution as medication isn't often a go to place, as it can often make them worst, but your GP can work with you on ways to reduce these nightmares, but remember, you aren't alone in this and you can reach out to us here whenever you need to, were here for you. Do keep us updated on how things are going, and if you ever needed to talk, just know were here,

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Hi Turtle :wave:

Sorry to hear that you have been struggling with nightmares *hug*

As whispers said maybe a positive step forward would be to visit your GP. You also mentioned that your nightmares began after a traumatic event- perhaps counselling would be helpful (your GP would be best advise to advise you of this).

Just wondering do you have any support from family and friends? It's great that you've reached out on thesite and we are here to listen if it helps, and through reaching out to more people you could build up a support network, which may be of benefit.

I can't understand what you're going through, but when I have nightmares it helps me to continue the nightmare in my mind and give it a positive ending!

Hope things get better soon :heart:
    Amanda
    Hi :) thank you to all of you for replying and being so kind!
    yeah i have a few distractions now including colouring, one thing i definately need to remeber is not to panic !, giving it a better ending is a nice thought i will try that..
    when i see my gp i always feel like a time waster. i stopped going after a gp made me feel like was wasting her time.

but i did put my name down on a waiting list, for counselling with a charity :) hopefully should get some by the middle of next year.

thank you for how kind you all are :)

i hope to be better asap

turtle :blush:
    Great to hear that you have counselling lined up and are finding new distractions!

Keep posting if it helps :)

Hope you feel better soon :heart:
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    turtle09 wrote: »
    Hi :) thank you to all of you for replying and being so kind!
    yeah i have a few distractions now including colouring, one thing i definately need to remeber is not to panic !, giving it a better ending is a nice thought i will try that..
    when i see my gp i always feel like a time waster. i stopped going after a gp made me feel like was wasting her time.

but i did put my name down on a waiting list, for counselling with a charity :) hopefully should get some by the middle of next year.

thank you for how kind you all are :)

i hope to be better asap

turtle :blush:

Hey again Turtle,

Thank you for getting back to us :heart: - It's positive to hear you've taken your own steps to finding a way to get better, and by reaching out to support networks/charities, and it's great to hear you have counselling lined up. Also there is no need to say thank you or all that m'larkey, because that's what were here for, were a support network, supporting anyone who comes along really.

How have the distractions been working out for you so far? Have they been working, like I often find when I wake up from a night terror, I don't have the motivation to do zilch because I'm so tired, but also to scared to go back to sleep, I can just about man mindfulness, I put my feet on the group, and just focus on my body, nothing else, because in that moment, nothing else matters, have you ever tried mindfulness? It's easier said than done 'not to go into a panic' - But always remember to reassure yourself! And you can always pop on here, whenever, etc. And post about the nightmare, or even join in, in light hearted conversation. I sometimes find that helps, but I can't like do it straight away, I have to let my eyes adjust to my fairy lights first, and then my eyes won't hurt when I look at my phone.

Not sure if that's just me though? ;) - I'm sorry to hear your GP made you feel like a time waster, like no GP should ever make you feel like that, it's not okay. Maybe consider changing doctor, or the GP you are seeing at the moment, you can express how they made you feel, because that is NOT okay, not issues how ever challenging, or trivial should be shun down upon.

And getting better is never a quick process, it's something you have to take at a pace you feel comfortable at, don't rush it, but you'll always have users on TheSite.org boards support you through this, were here for you :heart:

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
    Hello :)
    thanks again for replying
    my distractions are ok till it gets too really late into the night then i dont tend to be able to focus on colouring and other things. I will have a look over mindfullness things thanks for the tip :) i have a blanket which is really cosy which helps me.
    thanks. its nice to know im not on my own with it.:yippe:
    have a nice week
    turtle
    Hi Turtle :)

Just wondering how things are since you last posted?
    Hi :)
    err things are ok my sleepings got a little better im not under as much pressure right now :)
    how about you ?