Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you think Cherie Blair should apologise?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As speaking about the Palestinian suicide bombers, the Prime Minister's wife said that "as long as young people feel they have got no hope but to blow themselves up you are never going to make progress".

Do you think she really has anything wrong in saying that?

Comments

• Options
    I agree with what she said, and I think a lot of people do, but she has to be careful with her high profile with what she says in public.
  • Options
    Why apologise for telling the truth?

I don't think she condoned terrorism. She's just stating the obvious. The Palestinians have seen their land occupied by an invasive force that has subjected them to abuse, torture, murder and humiliation on a daily basis for decades. The outlook is very grim indeed and the invaders do not show any intention of returning the land they occupied and leave these people in peace. Of course bombing innocent civilians is very wrong. But with the international community sitting back and doing nothing, and the most powerful nation on earth actively supporting the aggressors it's no surprise so many Palestinians resort to suicide bombings. Instead of building fences the Israelis should, once and for all and according with endless UN resolutions, return the land they stole and get the fuck out of Palestine for good. Then they’d be free of suicide bombers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Why apologise for telling the truth?

I don't think she condoned terrorism. She's just stating the obvious. The Palestinians have seen their land occupied by an invasive force that has subjected them to abuse, torture, murder and humiliation on a daily basis for decades. The outlook is very grim indeed and the invaders do not show any intention of returning the land they occupied and leave these people in peace. Of course bombing innocent civilians is very wrong. But with the international community sitting back and doing nothing, and the most powerful nation on earth actively supporting the aggressors it's no surprise so many Palestinians resort to suicide bombings. Instead of building fences the Israelis should, once and for all and according with endless UN resolutions, return the land they stole and get the fuck out of Palestine for good. Then they’d be free of suicide bombers.

Sorry Aladdin, but when did Israel belong to the Palestinian population...? The last "owners" where the Turks and then the Englishmen. The palestinian people didn't agree with the way the UN divided the country, just to remind you.

But again, Israel should give them land, when they say that they won't stop until Israel is demolished? Until every single jew has drowned in the sea?
    Arafat himself said that the "Oslo agreemeant was the palstinians peoples' Trojan Horse". So Israel shouldn't protect her citizens, but pack their bags and leave the country...
    After all the message which many here seem to support is "Terrorism does pay off".

And about Cherie Blair's opinion. She can have her opinion, and her husband can have his.
  • Options
    At the very least, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip belong to Palestine, as agreed by everyone including the UN and Israel's bestiest friends the USA. Many think the rest of the land is Palestine’s as well but I'm not going to get into that. Israel should clear the West Bank and the Gaza Strip immediately, recognise the Palestinian State, remove all illegal settlements and while they are at it return all other land taken in 1967 including the Golan Heights et al.

By doing that they will probably not eradicate attacks completely, but you can be sure that most bombings will cease. There will always be a small extremist group plotting attacks- but then every country, USA, Greece, Spain, UK have such groups operating. Hamas and other organisations might be behind the bombings but at present most of the suicide bombers, most of the people who come forward for such atrocities are not 'career' terrorists. They are normal people like you and me, some teenage students with all their lives ahead of them, and although what they do is very wrong they feel that there is no other way for them to force the Israelis out. The great majority of these people are not fighting for the destruction of Israel. Some of them might wish for it, but what are they killing and dying for is to get the Israelis out of the West Bank and Gaza. If those people were allowed to have their own land back and recognised by Israel as the Palestinian State you can be sure none of these students would see a reason to blow themselves up on a bus.

And by the way, Israel should not pull back from the area because of the terrorists demand they do so. But because it's the right thing to do.
  • Options
    I agree, that when Israel can see the light in the end of the tunnel, then they should give the palestinians Gaza and the Westbank. But still, this didn't belong to the arab population of Israel, but to Jordan and the Golan heights, belonged to Syria (another question is, why didn't these two countries found a palestinian state, when these places where within their hands?).
    At the moment many people can't see the light, and who could blame them?
    Israel can't afford to make such a dumb strategic move in times like these.

When the Israeli citizens can feel secure in their own homes, then they can be "nice". Never have I smiled at someone, who has tried to beat me to the ground, do you think that they should?
  • Options
    The Israeli citizens have been caught in the middle of this and their government is partly to blame. I'm sure many if not most of them would like to see lasting peace and being able to live in harmony with their neighbours, including Palestinians living in an independent Palestine 'next door' to them. It is Sharon's government and a minority of extremists that refuse to consider giving the West Bank back, and tragically innocent people end up paying the price.
  • Options
    Aladdin, when terror acts like the one yesterday happen, then you won't find the people against giving the Westbank and Gaza, as a minority.
    As said, when Israel can't feel secure, then they won't hand in areas, which will make their situation even more insecure. Now all Israel can do is defend herself, not the opposite.
  • Options
    Well I hope you can see the problem there. It's a catch-22 situation, and unless the circle is broken things will get even worse. Now Sharon is talking of 'temporarily' repossessing parts of the West Bank as a punishment for yesterday's attack. No prizes offered for guessing what Hamas' response to that will be...
  • Options
    I truly can't see what else he should do. When he has sources telling him that this is a point from where the suiciders come from, to make an attck.

Should he just forget those 19 (maybe 18, I am not fond of including the suicider himself, as many news sources do) lives from yesterday? As I am typing, they have struck again. Now at the French Hill quarter in Jerusalem. 8 people dead, so far!

It is a scary situation, and NO prime minister in israel. Left winged or right winged would allow these attacks go by unnoticed. Israel has tried that method before, and it obviously didn't work, the attacks went on....
  • Options
    i disagree with all the fuss - she was right to say all the trouble was internal
  • Options
    I completely despise that woman..She is not the first lady, she is just blairs bit of arse and I wish she would just shut the fuck up and stay out of politics.

Theres nothing wrong with what she said, the problem is with what she didnt say..She did not condemn the bombings.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

Theres nothing wrong with what she said, the problem is with what she didnt say..She did not condemn the bombings.

That's a cheap point to make, really. Of course we haven't heard reports of her condemning the bombing; that wouldn't suit the media's personality assassination agenda. That doesn't mean she doesn't condemn the bombings. Surely you recognise the inherent danger of simply accepting sound-bites as the entire premise of a person's opinions.
  • Options
    We live in a media driven world. The soundbytes are all that are given to the people..They are the only thing on which many people base their opinions of others.

In this world of spin and publicity she should have known better.

I wonder what you would think if the situation were reversed and someone had said something regarding Israel. Maybe someone commenting one sidedly on the Israeli incursions into Palestine without condemning them or going into details as to the reasons..

"I can see why they needed to sent those tanks into the refugee camps, the Israelis must be so desperate because of all those suicide bombers"
  • Options
    I think she's a dumb bitch. Like Balddog said, she should learn to keep her mouth shut and stay out of politics for everyone's sake.

Aladdin, it isn't a vicious cycle at all. The Israelis have repeatedly told the palestinians they will cede the West Bank and Gaza strip to them, WHEN the bombings stop, not before.
    It's the palestinian's own dumb fault if they carry on. It'll go so far until the Israelis get sick of it and occupy all of Palestine. bet you'd be ranting about that too wouldn't you.
  • Options
    Okay you two. What gives you the right to voice your opinions in a public forum then?

She didn't support terrorism in any way. In fact if you had payed attention to the whole interview you would have seen her agreeing with the Queen of Jordan's condemnation of the act.

If anything I would say that it is you who has latched on to a soundbite. Look at the words she used and you will see no support for the acts, only a resignation that unless the two sides talk there will never be a solution to this conflict. Resignation that Military action alone will not solve this problem.

And while the press (and you) concentrate in the words of one person, the killing (on both sides) goes on...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Aladdin, it isn't a vicious cycle at all. The Israelis have repeatedly told the palestinians they will cede the West Bank and Gaza strip to them, WHEN the bombings stop, not before.

and the Palesinians have repeatedly said that when you stop killing unarmed civilians and stop occupying the our land, we will stop the suicide bombers.

So your point is?
  • Options
    I completely despise that woman..She is not the first lady, she is just blairs bit of arse and I wish she would just shut the fuck up and stay out of politics.

Why should she stay out of politics. Do you?

And to dismiss her as "just Blair bit of arse" really does you no credit Baldy. You may not agree with her opinions but she is worth a whole lot more than that...

Incidentaly, I think that she is full of shit and that many of her political stances abhor me, but I would never stoop quite that low.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Why should she stay out of politics. Do you?

Actually yes I do..I have no influence on the policial machinations of this country whatsoever. The press have no interest in my opinions. I am not constantly on television. My views are not listened to by millions of people. I do not express my opinion on issues in various situations I find myself in purely because I am married to the PM.

I havent heard the whole interview, dont spose you have a link do ya?
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Of course, this is not terrorism

What the fuck has that got to do with this discussion? If you want to hijack a thread with your agenda then start your own.

Oh and for the record, its not terrorism, thats a massacre.
  • Options
    Actually yes I do..

Actually, no you don't. You post here for a start, and I'll assume that you vote.
    I have no influence on the policial machinations of this country whatsoever. The press have no interest in my opinions. I am not constantly on television. My views are not listened to by millions of people. I do not express my opinion on issues in various situations I find myself in purely because I am married to the PM.

and yet you assume that people will listen to the PMs wife. Cheri isn't royalty and she should express an opinion if asked, and we all know that much of it will have gone through the Labour Machine (set to "spin") first, so she isn't free to say what she would like to, much of the time.

This is a comment blown out of all proportion because of Labour's current (misguided) position regarding the media. If someone on the Tory benches has said it, it would have passed unnoticed. yet they have the same access to the media. In fact, I think you'll find that her assertion that without dialogue there will be no peace is the very basis of the US peace initiative.

As for her influence, I am certain that the PM doesn't act solely on what she says, but when you are married you do listen to your wife's opinions (as if you have a choice ;)), I am sure that Lady T listened to Denis and John listened to Norma, yet you chose not to comment on that...(its not so much what you said, as what you didn't say - to paraphase one of your comments earlier) although I did note that neither voiced opinions in public very often. But then perhaps they didn't have so much interest, or just weren't asked...

I havent heard the whole interview, dont spose you have a link do ya?

No I haven't, but the gist is that the press asked the Queen of Jordan for her view on events and she comdemned the terrorists, with Cheri nodding in agreement. Cheri was then asked for a comment and that is what was reported.

We all know that the press will only report the things which suit their agenda. Although Cheri should apologise for any offence caused (and did), her comments we totally appropriate.