Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Can employers sack you if you suffer with Mental Health Issues?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I work in a school and have been there since late last year. I have suffered with mental health issues for around 11 years now(I am 18 years old...) but I have had no support in ages now and I'm starting to be affected by my mental health more. My work ethic and performance is not affected while I'm working but if they found out that I suffer with mental health issues, are they allowed to sack me and not have me work there anymore?

Thank you xx

Comments

• Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi AngelFace. No, they can't sack you on that basis. They could only dismiss you if they could prove that your issues were causing a danger or problem within your role, which I'm guessing is very unlikely. And even then it's not as simple as just having time off being an issue, it would have to be a lot more than that.

Have a read of this article on Mental Health at work, I think it will set your mind at ease :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cat88 wrote: »
    Hi AngelFace. No, they can't sack you on that basis. They could only dismiss you if they could prove that your issues were causing a danger or problem within your role, which I'm guessing is very unlikely. And even then it's not as simple as just having time off being an issue, it would have to be a lot more than that.

Have a read of this article on [URL="http://www.thesite.org/work-and-study/workers-rights-and-pay/mental-heHi,
    alth-at-work-1359.html"]Mental Health at work[/URL], I think it will set your mind at ease :)

Hi,

Thank you very much for this reply, it was very helpful and I think I understand a bit better now though I am still worried by it :s

xx

Cat88 is correct, they cant sack you on the basic of mental health, that is illegal, no different really to sacking you because you are of a certain sex or from a ethnic background. They cant do it. However, if you work does suffer then that is a different issue entirely. The best course of action might be to speak to your line manger and see if they can offer you any support? Ive always found that when you approach your manager and make them aware of whats going on, they are more willing to help and they can only help when they are aware that there are issues. Good luck!
    cemme wrote: »
    Cat88 is correct, they cant sack you on the basic of mental health, that is illegal, no different really to sacking you because you are of a certain sex or from a ethnic background. They cant do it. However, if you work does suffer then that is a different issue entirely. The best course of action might be to speak to your line manger and see if they can offer you any support? Ive always found that when you approach your manager and make them aware of whats going on, they are more willing to help and they can only help when they are aware that there are issues. Good luck!

I understand what you mean but I just get so easily worried and fearful about it :S It's a horrible feeling. My work isn't currently being affected as I have an act and happy front all the time to hide things as well as hiding my true emotions.

Thank you for your reply

Hannah
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear

Hi,

Thank you very much for this reply, it was very helpful and I think I understand a bit better now though I am still worried by it :s

xx

No worries - happy to help! I do agree with cemme, if you are struggling your manager/team might be able to support. Are you getting support elsewhere?
    Awh thank you Cat88, I appreciate that so much!

Nope, I am not getting any support anywhere at all really but have been fighting for it and am trying to book an appointment with the GP.

xx
    They can sack you if they can justify it. IE, if you're a danger to yourself or other people. However, it's illegal for them to sack you just because you have a mental illness.
    Melian wrote: »
    They can sack you if they can justify it. IE, if you're a danger to yourself or other people. However, it's illegal for them to sack you just because you have a mental illness.

I was worried that I can be sacked for suffering with mental health issues-I am not a danger and I am not affected at work really as I am mostly able to continue with my act of life..

Hannah xx
    Still finding this a bit worrying and anxiety triggering :S xx
    Still finding this a bit worrying and anxiety triggering :S xx

Try not to worry about about getting sacked. Like you said, if you keep worrying about it you'll get anxiety attacks.

If they do find out about your mental health, and sack you, you can talk to the Citizen's Advice Bureau (if you're from England) and see if you have a case.
    SpinTires wrote: »

Try not to worry about about getting sacked. Like you said, if you keep worrying about it you'll get anxiety attacks.

If they do find out about your mental health, and sack you, you can talk to the Citizen's Advice Bureau (if you're from England) and see if you have a case.

It is really worrying anf I don't know how to stop worrying about it, especially since I must have a psychiatric assessment done in 8/9 weeks time.

Thank you xx
    I think you should also discuss this with the person doing your assessment. Chances are, they've come across this before.
    Melian wrote: »
    I think you should also discuss this with the person doing your assessment. Chances are, they've come across this before.

How would I bring this up without sounding more stupid?
    Has anything specific happened that has made you think you might lose your job? I would try not to worry and remember that there is a lot more awareness now about mental illness compared to previous years. Try to keep positive and realise that a lot more people than you realise suffer from mental health problems at some point in their lives.
    Ed_P wrote: »
    Has anything specific happened that has made you think you might lose your job? I would try not to worry and remember that there is a lot more awareness now about mental illness compared to previous years. Try to keep positive and realise that a lot more people than you realise suffer from mental health problems at some point in their lives.

I have been referred to have a psyshiatric assessment done....I have cried a few times at work as well :S

I understand that completely, thank you x
    I was told by employment advisor that I am wasting my time applying to be a train driver......she got told off for saying that!! Ever since that pilot crashed that plane people are so quick to judge others with mental health problems
    They are quick to judge and it should most definitely not be that way although it is in a lot of places!:crying:

Don't give up with your application to become a train driver ;)