Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How do you feel when famous people have problems?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Rapper Professor Green has made a documentary about suicide for BBC Three, which will be broadcast tonight. His father committed suicide when he was 24, and this has had such an impact on his life that the topic comes up in several of his songs, and he is a patron of the charity Calm, which aims to prevent men from committing suicide.

How do you feel when famous people – such as celebrities and politicians - open up about how their problems have affected them? Does it make you feel more comfortable about talking about your problems with the people in your life, and reassured knowing that other people have the same problems? Or, do you worry that people won't take you seriously because they don't believe what famous people say about their problems?

Share your experiences, good or bad, of talking about how your problems have affected you after famous people have spoken about how the same or similar problems have affected them.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it creates such a hype when famous people open up about stuff like this - I find the public don't necessarily talk about it for the right reasons, it's more so that they have something to gossip about.

I think it's amazing when celebs have the courage to speak up about such things and with the right age group they have a positive affect in doing so but realistically I don't think it makes much a difference with anyone outside of that age group. Society has us all trapped in a certain mindset and once that becomes something you've grown with, it's very difficult to move on from.
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Famous people, are just people like us- hence they have issues just like us!
    @Danny! - I've just watched this. It's such an honest and compelling documentary, totally worth a watch!

​As @apandav says, celebrities are people like us. It can be easy to forget that they have real life problems just like anybody else. It does seem though that this documentary has touched and hit home with a lot of people who watched it. Here is a photo that Professor Green posted about the impact it has had on some.

@butterfly123 it's interesting what you say about "society having us trapped in a certain mindset". Why do you think it's often difficult to come out of that trap, and what do you think people could do to avoid falling into that trap? :chin:

The show has most certainly sparked discussions and raised awareness around the stigma and taboo associated with talking about suicide. Celebrity or not, showing vulnerability takes courage.
  • louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    I think it pisses me off slightly. not because they are speaking out, because obviously thats really brave and admirable because people can look up to them. it pisses me off because they get noticed and they get talked about. like they have an issue and so do many others have the same issue but its obviously way more important if they have it and its not. we are all the same. I know this wont change and i know they wont write about everyone's issues because who cares about louisa from hampshire or joe bloggs from london BUT it just annoys me.
    louisa982 wrote: »
    I think it pisses me off slightly. not because they are speaking out, because obviously thats really brave and admirable because people can look up to them. it pisses me off because they get noticed and they get talked about. like they have an issue and so do many others have the same issue but its obviously way more important if they have it and its not. we are all the same. I know this wont change and i know they wont write about everyone's issues because who cares about louisa from hampshire or joe bloggs from london BUT it just annoys me.

"woah is me, I have a problem"? I feel like that too. Y'know, sometimes it's good to know that I'm not alone in having an issue. But I do sometimes see it as attention seeking.
    Melian wrote: »

"woah is me, I have a problem"? I feel like that too. Y'know, sometimes it's good to know that I'm not alone in having an issue. But I do sometimes see it as attention seeking.

Exactly! I just think its a bit unfair
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    @louisa982[/USER] and [USER="27078"]Melian , I can see how it's annoying that issues suddenly seem to be important and OK to talk about when someone famous talks about them. Do you think it makes it any easier, once they open up a debate, for people who aren't famous to talk about things? Or does the effect not 'trickle down' like that?
    Danny! wrote: »
    @louisa982[/USER] and [USER="27078"]Melian , I can see how it's annoying that issues suddenly seem to be important and OK to talk about when someone famous talks about them. Do you think it makes it any easier, once they open up a debate, for people who aren't famous to talk about things? Or does the effect not 'trickle down' like that?

I guess yeah it makes it easier especially when there are issues on eastenders/soaps because people then phone up saying it happened to them BUT for me personally it depends WHO the famous person is and WHAT the issue is
    I think it depends on the person and the issue. I have a lot of time for Professor Green being so open about it.

But when it's someone like Jordan whining about how life is so unfair in order to sell her next book, the only real feeling is schadenfreude. Or boredom.