Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What can help you when having a panic attack?

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
*PAM*

A big thanks to all of you who shared your panic attack experiences in this thread. It's pretty clear that lots of you are all too familiar with the panic monster, so we thought it'd be helpful to share ways we can try and defend ourselves against panic attacks.

Here are some ideas we've come across:

FnjkbaIl.jpg

Are these good techniques? Do they work? Do you know any other ways to help yourself (or others) during a panic attack?

The idea is to collect lots of ideas here so that we can all learn a bit about different ways to cope with panic attacks. so, feel free to share your tips here :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :eek: poor PAM! I know he's the Panic Attack Monster and he's a meanie but he's too cool and funny to beat up :(

Apparently 'tis a good idea to remember that you almost NEVER panic as much as you expect to, like the panic is built up more from yourself than the actual situation, so it might be a good idea to try and remind yourself of that somehow whilst in that situation.

Gosh knows how! I haven't yet had an opportunity to try so I can't give an example of how you can do that but, yeah.
  • Options
    That's really interesting advice butterfly :)

It's probably worth dropping a link to our article 'Help, I'm having a panic attack', which has extra advice on what to do. It focuses a lot on breathing slowly, in and out.

Had anyone found that helps?
  • Options
    When I'm in panic mode, it really doesn't help me to think the feeling will pass because at the time it honestly feels like I'm dying. The best thing for me is a big cuddle from someone I trust. 9 times out if 10 it calms me down 😊

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    Nothing helps my panic attacks except my pills
  • Options
    Hey Emily,

Sounds like you find it a bit tricky to cope with panic attacks - that's totally understandable as they can be really overwhelming. The article I posted above has some advice that you might find helpful for future reference: Help, I'm having a panic attack!

Just a heads up too that this thread hasn't been active for about a year. You can tell by taking a look at the dates on the top of each post. Generally, we try to avoid posting in inactive threads, because the conversation (and/or original poster) has probably moved on. Our Good Manners Guide talks about this in more detail :thumb:

I'm going to close this now, but if you'd like support with your panic attacks, feel free to start a new thread :)
This discussion has been closed.