Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stay, go, or what?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so Im in the middle of a slight problem at the moment...

the situation

At the moment, I work in a castle restaurant as a glorified scullery maid. Well, They call me a "catering assistant" or something equally silly, but what I basically do is waitress, KP, help prepare food, get stuff from store rooms, clear tables, clean..... anything that needs done.
Currently, as a junior, I only get about £3.45/hr, but once you take the fact that I dont pay tax into account, I actually get more than the older people.
I'm off to Aberdeen Uni in the autumn (to study Law), and as a result I'm going to have to save plenty of money, as though I have a bit over £3000 savings I really dont want to start on that till second year, and I dont want to have to depend solely on my loan.

the problem

It looks like my boss may have over-employed, because when she called me earlier to talk about the rota she said
"I'm looking at giving you some extra days after next week"
(I've only been doing Sundays over the exams and school time).
And, coming from her, that DOESNT look like shes going to be giving me full time, which would give me about £130/wk.
I REALLY need to be working full time, for uni, and if shes not giving me full hours I have two options:
1)Get a new job on the island, hand in my notice at the castle and switch to a better job. The thing is, the only place on the island that really needs staff on that scale is the Auchrannie, and thats HORRIBLE work, according to one of my friends who works there.
2)I just leave the castle, AND the island and move to aberdeen and stay with my aunt, get a job there. My sister likes that idea (she lives in Edinburgh), and I'd probably get better wages there. in addition, I could get to know the city before uni starts. But Gran doesnt seen to enthusiastic about the idea.

I have no idea what to do!!!

I was just wondering if some of you could please give me some advice about how i should go about this, or even just a couple of extra views... you know, pros and cons and stuff...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    to be honest, 2 sounds a good idea, especially as you are going uni there, but why doesnt your gran want you to stay
    its just that the second I mentioned the possibility of moving away to Aberdeen early she was like "oh, I think itd be a better idea to stay on the island till you haveto move"

I think she might just not trust me to move away or something
    2 sounds like the better idea to be honest, plus it allows you to get settled before you start your course...maybe your gran is just going to miss you and doesn't want you to go until you have to?

Susie :)
    found another option as well btw.... work an evening job as well as the castle.... everyones like "oh, thats a good idea".... they seem to forget itd mean me working about 12 hours a day.....