Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Overwhelmed by University

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I am in my second year at uni and I'm feeling overwhelmed. I've been finding my classes really difficult and I'm not understanding them. I've been trying to organise myself but every time I try to sort myself out or try to do work, I get this rush of emotions and then I can't stop crying. I don't know what to do about it.

Can anyone help me?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi Kathy, sorry for a slight delay in replying. Firstly, well done for posting on here, we'll offer as much support as we can.

It sounds like there's a lot going on for you, but I'll start with practical advice. Do you have a personal tutor or someone in the department you can talk to? It's their job to help you succeed so please don't be worried about opening up to them and telling them you're struggling and you should be able to get a bit of extra support. There may also be other student support services run by the Student's Union or Welfare Office, so do have a look what's on offer - it is there for you after all.

Can I ask what is different about this year versus your first year? Were you happier then? Has something changed?

If your emotions really are taking over, it could be that something more is going on. It hopefully isn't anything too serious, but have a read of this article about feeling down versus depression and just seen if any of it feels relevant to you.

Either way, try to ensure you're enjoying your personal interests as well as studying, hopefully that can lighten your mood and make the studying less scary.

Keep us updated, we're here for you too.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In my first year in terms of course work I was fine. Sometimes it was challenging but I never felt as bad as i do now.

I have been struggling with anxiety since I was 16 but over this past year I have greatly improved.

I met with my personal tutor this morning. He talked me through some things i wasn't understanding and helped me talk to my lecturers. After this i realised that it wasn't the work that was challenging. It was i was letting my emotions get in the way. He suggested that I talk to the student counselling service as he is aware of my mental health history. He even suggested that I go to my doctor but I'm unsure about this as i've been doing really well all year. I don't want to go back on medication or therapy.

I'm hoping that its just a rough patch and with a couple of counselling sessions i'll be okay.

• Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hey Kathy - thank you that gives a lot more context :)

I completely understand that you don't want to go back to medication or therapy, so hopefully counselling will indeed help. Perhaps try to focus on how far you've come over the last few years and try to keep that motivation going.

I'll keep an eye on this thread so please do come back as often as needed when you want to chat.