Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Diazepam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just hoping to get people's opinions on this medication?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Love it. It calms me down, makes me feel less like everyone's out to get me, helps me sleep if I take it before bed (although it also makes me sleepy during the day which is a bit of a downside). It's pretty addictive though (although I never found so) and doctors generally won't prescribe it long term.
    Just wanted to step in with a word of warning..

Our bodies react to different medications very differently so how something works for one person could be totally different for someone else.

It sounds you're interested in getting a variety of opinions on it which is great but ultimately if this is something that you are considering then it's really important to talk it through with your GP.

Do you want to tell us a bit more about where you're coming from butterfly? Entirely up to you :)
    Thanks for sharing grace and thanks Jo.

I'm going to the doctors this week but I don't really get on with my GP so I'm hesitant of bringing it up but I really want to be put on diazepam. I was put on propanalol to help me with my anxiety, to calm down my fast heart beat and to apparently help me when I get withdrawal symptoms. They started me off on 40mg a day of propanalol but the GP who took over doesn't like giving me prescriptions so it's literally like getting blood out of a stone and recently my support worker has had to take over trying for me and the GP won't actually give me enough tablets - she only gives me five days worth every week so it's pretty pointless anyway because then I have two days of none which is really unhelpful.

I've been on propanalol for a short while now yet recently I have been feeling like my anxiety is getting to a point where it's taking complete control of my life again and it's a hard thing to live with, and it doesn't help with withdrawals either, that's bullshit - at least I haven't found it to at all. diazepam sounds to me like it really could do all of the things I want it to do, especially whilst my anxiety has gotten so bad. I doubt this GP would even consider it though. It's difficult enough getting my propanalol and painkillers from her and I've heard diazepam generally isn't prescribed to anyone who has an alcohol addiction.

Writing it down like that makes me realise that perhaps it's more wishful thinking because I'm stupid if I think anyone will ever allow me this medication but I need something that will help because I can't stand this and propanalol doesn't exactly do what it's supposed to.
    It's my doctors appointment this morning. My support worker is coming with me but I'm really scared that the doctor is just going to be crabby about prescribing me anything because she's not even happy about giving me the mediation I'm already on. I'm not okay with how my anxiety is right now though.
    It's my doctors appointment this morning. My support worker is coming with me but I'm really scared that the doctor is just going to be crabby about prescribing me anything because she's not even happy about giving me the mediation I'm already on. I'm not okay with how my anxiety is right now though.

How did you get on butterfly?

*hug*
    Jo7 wrote: »
    How did you get on butterfly?

*hug*

Thanks for asking. So she gave me more solpadol and propanalol, and has also put me on citalopram. Fucking citalopram. I thought that was more an anti-depressant, but doctor seems to think it'll help with anxiety. I don't think anyone actually tries to understand how bad it's getting again. Support worker also mentioned that I've been struggling to sleep properly because of nightmares which isn't helping my overall mood but I don't think the doctor even took that into consideration. But she wants me to go back before the two weeks is up (that's the amount of citalopram she has given me) and see how I'm getting on with it. I've read the leaflet and one of the common side affects is anxiety...