Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Catalogue Business

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
So I was walking down the street just there, was stopped by a woman. She told me that she was the area manager for one of those catalogue company's (where you take orders from people). Now me being me, I agree with everything she says and look intrested....... anyways I thought nope, I've never took an interest in starting a business like this.

But then I though, maybe it would be a good idea. I'm going to uni soon and I'm on a zero hours contract. Basically from what she tells me, I'd receive catalogues and take orders from people (even just people which I know). I'm actually intrested now but I don't really know much about these jobs. They also have lots of staff discounts, which look really good for buying Christmas gifts etc.

Any advice?

Oh also, I just met her at my house as I was walking back...... she's already dropped off 10 catalogues and I've to contact her if I need more (but I haven't even signed up yet lol).

Comments

• apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Just opened the bag she's left me, she's even put in order forms and everything. I asked her if that means I've signed up, she said no. Definitely keen on looking for new people much lol!

It sounds like a cool idea, but still not decided yet!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The woman is onto a good thing. Every order you make, she gets a small percentage cut since her code will already be on the form you send in with orders. As a catalogue book agent, you also get a percentage, but its a lot of hard work for less than 15% commission. I doubt since your starting university you would have the time to do it anyway.
    Yeah, I've decided it's not worth it, especially with this company. It costs money for the catalogues too! If I find another with a better offer I might take it up though, even if I don't do it for every edition!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I doubt your parents would feel great seeing racks of clothes being delivered to their house for you to pack up and send on to your customers, and seeing you're on the cusp of commencing university, you will be strapped for time after feeling exhausted an knackked out from doing piles of homework your teachers will be piling on you.

Since it's making money you're after, consider becoming a brand reseller, eg. selling on AVG antivirus software, or being a partner with True Utility who manufacture keyring flashlights, pens, micro tools etc. since you can profit by up to 40% on the retail price. Alternatively you would be far better off pulling pints down your student's bar and being paid for it; less pain that way and you get to walk away with brass in pocket.

Catalogues cost a lot to produce, weigh a lot and are an ansolute bugger to tote around. Waste of trees, too. Working as an agent reseller for a catalogue firm will only net you a miserly 15% tops, and for that is a lot of hard slog. You'd feel better pulling pints down your chummy local uni pub and at least you'd be working weekends among some really nice peeps.
    Yeah definitely! I've decided not to do it at all, for now anyways. Need to settle into uni before I consider anything else like that! Just text the woman today and basically said in the nicest way I don't think the job is for me.