Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do I need to inform the DVLA?

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
Not sure where to post this thread. I'm asking in regards to the DVLA, so I take it would come under the law section?

Do I need to tell the DVLA I've been taking citalopram?
I know a side effect of it can be drowsiness in some people. But I don't have this side effect and I've been driving perfectly well whilst taking this (in fact I've been driving better, but that's just me improving).

I'm booking my test soon, and Im sure I had to sign something with regards to notifying them of changes in health(at a previous test)- am I right in saying that?

Do I need to tell them I'm taking citalopram (antidepressant) if it doesn't affect my ability to drive safely? (Which is the case)

Comments

• apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Just realised, I think it's the DSA who do the testing. Do I need to tell either the DSA or DVLA? (I have a UK provisional driving licence)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The majority of adults are on some form of medication including anti-depressents, I haven't told the DVLA....about my medication,or Lack of it. but i came acroess this

https://www.gov.uk/current-medical-guidelines-dvla-guidance-for-professionals-psychiatric-chapter-appendix
    Thanks @Emmalee

After looking at the website, it seems like I don't have to inform them as it doesn't effect my ability to drive.

The only thing I'm not sure about is when it mentions that "drugs that effect the CNS can impair.......". I know citalopram does but I don't believe I have any of these effects. I can't tell whether they want you to report it to them, even if you feel it doesn't effect your driving.
    You could ask your GP for advice, see if he/she can clarify because it does sound rather vague. However, if you had a late night and next morning felt drowsy having already taken your citalopram, the logical thing then would be to take the bus instead.
    If you're really not sure, I'd tell them to be on the safe side.

I've been on the same medication since December. For other reasons, I can't drive. On and off since then, it's caused a lot of problems which would affect my ability to drive. (and would actually disqualify me)
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I'd say it really depends on your side effects. There is very little point in telling them if there are no effects, and it could lead to them considering whether you should have your licence revoked due to your illness/medication.
    I'd check with your doctor whether you fit into the 'severe mental disorder' category as mentioned in Em's link, but if this is not the case it's unlikely you would need to report it.
    Thanks for the replies! I don't think there is any point in telling them!

To be honest driving practice has been a good thing for me, I can zone out and just focus on it, I've been really enjoying it recently. Plus it gives me something to feel proud of (I know it's small, but it feels big for me).

I don't believe my medication or symptoms effect my driving. Unless obviously I had a lack of sleep (but that would be the same on medication or not).

I'm reluctant to tell them to be honest, it would cause a whole host of other issues with my parents, they'd probably find out (we live at same address, they are always nosey and ask who my letters are from).

I wouldn't say I fit into the category where I have to tell them. I'm just worried incase say something happened (touchwood) and they found out I was taking citalopram and blamed it on that (although it wouldn't be the case). I just don't want to get into any trouble.
    In fact I just realised something, I can't say what. But there's a symptom I told my GP about. I've not been having it in the past few weeks, that perhaps legally I should probably report. I don't want to, and I wouldn't ever let that affect me, I wouldn't be in the best state of mind to drive when I was suffering from it. I would never want to put anyone in danger, I don't want them getting the wrong idea.

Thing is it on my records now.

When I had this symptom I was at my worst ever. They told me I wasn't well enough for work. I don't want this reaching out to stop me in life. It's over now, I hope I never go through that again!
    I think you need to talk to your doctor about it, whatever the worst symptom you had was. It's one thing to say that you wouldn't be in the best state of mind to drive in that state, but the question is whether you would, whilst in that situation, be able to stop yourself from driving.

You also need to think about what the consequences would be if you were to drive and have an accident, your licence could be revoked for some time and the effects on anyone else involved could be tragic.

I know you hope to never experience that symptom again - but I would definitely think it through. Sorry, I don't mean to scare you!
    *could be triggering* - I haven't went into specifics or detail

Well the symptom was having thoughts of wishing to not be here. I was at a very low point, I'm not feeling that way anymore. Even when I've been low the past few weeks, I haven't thought about it. Also one thing I've always been set on is that in no way would I involve anyone else. I wanted to cause harm to myself at the time but I was 100% in my mind set that I would never do anything to harm anyone. Its hard to explain,I can't go into detail as I don't want to trigger anyone.

I know that's what I worry about :( but I don't want my GP to break confidentiality to tell the DVLA. I don't want to loose my licence. It's not just the driving, how would I explain that to my parents, they know nothing about it or the fact I take antidepressants (and we live together too)!!!
    Thanks Kate, no worries, it was helpful!

I think I don't need to tell them but still not sure if I had one of those symptoms but no longer have it, do I need to tell them? My GP knows I had this symptom! It's probably one of those things that I need to ask them about, but I'm too worried about what would happen if I did!
    Not the symptom you mentioned before no, as is says in the guidance on the link that if that isn't a symptom you don't need to.

Your doctor will know what is best in this situation!
    It's not really a symptom, I just don't know how else to describe it, I can't say what it is (as it would be triggering for some people). I wouldn't say mine is severe but it says is "if its controlled and doesn't effect .......". I had one of those bullet points but I don't feel that way anymore.

Thanks you so much for your help Kate (and everyone else), it's been really helpful but I guess the only way I would know for definite is to ask a doctor (or DVLA- which defeats the purpose).