Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What makes a best friend?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I was just wondering what people think separates best friends from other friends? Like, what is different about the relationship? Do people do different things with their best friends? Do you act differently when you're with your best friend? Recently, I've come to the realisation that I've never really had someone I would consider a best friend so I was just wondering what having one might be like... :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have a best friend, but she lives in the south of France with her family so we are separated unless I get on a plane and come and stay. But otherwise we remain in contact by email, instant messenger and phone.

A best friend basically means someone you can talk to about anything, but to reach that point, friendships have to be nurtured, and this can take time. To become a close friend, providing they find you easy to talk to means a certain amount of risk. How much you share only without giving away TMI (Too Much Information). Best friends happen when two people take that step in trusting the other enough to open up, but that can open us to vulnerability. Recently I lost my girlfriend who had been my partner for some time, she died of cancer. But I have to move on and this has been difficult. One way of learning to cope with loss was my joining an archery club, and that has greatly helped me meet new people to befriend. I don't know if what I shared, helps... but sometimes I find even writing to someone as a pen pal can be potentially a good way of becoming a best friend.

Poppi
    A big thing for me is being able to go a while without talking (for whatever reason) and for there to be no arguments or questions, and to be able to pick up straight where you left off. Also, friends that close shouldn't feel taxing. Things just flow and it doesn't feel like you're trying to be their friend. Relaxing fully, too; cliché, but being able to be yourself with them.
    Petrichor wrote: »
    A big thing for me is being able to go a while without talking (for whatever reason) and for there to be no arguments or questions, and to be able to pick up straight where you left off. Also, friends that close shouldn't feel taxing. Things just flow and it doesn't feel like you're trying to be their friend. Relaxing fully, too; cliché, but being able to be yourself with them.

Seconded. For me, it's someone I can have a laugh with and someone who when I need to, I can have a serious talk with and they're there if I need them.
    For me it is someone I know gets me and doesn't judge me no matter what. It's also the person you can call at any time of day or night if you really needed to and know they wont be annoyed :)