Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do you feel about the budget?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The news is full of the budget at the moment. How do you think the budget will affect young people? Will it have an impact on your life?

How do you feel about the budget?

Comments

• Options
    The BBC's Budget Calculator had me at about £200 better off over the course of the year so I'm not going to feel any effects one way or the other. Then again I'm neither rich nor poor and so was unlikely to be affected.

What I find hard to do is to sift through the hyperbole surrounding budgets. Making savings with cuts to welfare (not something I'm against in principle) when juxtaposed with increasing inheritance tax boundaries and lowering corporation tax, does seem a bit perverse, especially in the light of trying to reduce a deficit.
  • Options
    What I find hard to do is to sift through the hyperbole surrounding budgets. Making savings with cuts to welfare (not something I'm against in principle) when juxtaposed with increasing inheritance tax boundaries and lowering corporation tax, does seem a bit perverse, especially in the light of trying to reduce a deficit.

:yes:
  • Options
    Do budget calculators make it easier for people to form more informed opinions about the budget, in terms of how they could be afffected? Without them, would people assume things were going to be worse than in reality?
  • Options
    Being on benefits it says that we're not better or worse off but Gideon puts the fear of a being i don't believe in into me that everything will be taken away from us at his wim.
  • Options
    I welcomed the raising of the Inheritance Tax threshold because many older people have a net worth up to a million pounds which would include a house, car and valuables. I also welcome the government considering extending Sunday Trading Hours. Having returned from France to find most shops shut all day except the occasional small supermarket, it's pretty miserable when wanting to buy emergency stuff or food. Even over here in the UK, Sundays should be cheered up more and high street shops welcomed to open. Goodness knows they deserve the extra trade seeing many shop online.

Budget-wise for money, my income tax threshold of 40% has not been lowered. That isn't encouraging when one earns a fair bit having spent years getting a degree for a better paid job - only to see a great amount of one's earnings get taxed and deducted. :\