Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A message to your former self...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
fetch?filedataid=17217&type=thumb

Yesterday in Chat the closing round was “You’re sitting on a bus, you look at the girl/Boy next to you, You noticed that this person is a former you, Its You from five years ago, You look upset…What is the one bit of advice you give to yourself based on your life now from how it was 5 years back?”

There was a lot of powerful responses, I won’t share what they we’re because I think that’s for the person to do so themselves, but they were a wide range of things about accepting ourselves, Embracing who we are.

If I could go back to my 15 year old self….I would tell myself, the following things..

“Don’t retaliate against mental health service, I know you don’t want to be under their care, but a few months down the line when you’re spending everyday with the police begging for some support you’ll wonder why you turned it down”

“Don’t be so angry about what you went through, It was awful. So fucking awful, but being so angry and worked up all the time is only going to be detrimental to your health and your recovery, It won’t change anything you went through”

“You’re story, your knowledge has the power to change peoples lives and change the services that are failing people, You need to be around to witness it”

What is yours?...Share as many as you want.

fetch?filedataid=17218&type=thumb

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's a reason why he's telling you to get help. You really should do it. And you need to do what he says and be honest about what really happened.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    It'll get worse before it gets better - but you'll go on to do more than you ever dreamed you could. It isn't brave to reject help, it's foolhardy.
    She doesn't love you.
    You are just as important as your big brothers and don't worry about being shy, you'll get more confidence as you grow up and you'll be fine. Also, hair straighteners get invented when you're 15 and they will change your life!! :lol:

EDIT - for some reason I read this as advice to your 5 year old self not me five years ago...
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    I'd say to 13 year old me....... She's not your friend , she's a bully, get away from her! Also stop worrying about what others think, if they don't like you for who you are, then they don't matter!

But to be honest, still feel like I should say the second one to myself right now!!
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    "You're a nothing, don't bother"
  • ShatteredSecretsShatteredSecrets Posts: 186 Helping Hand
    I think advice to myself 5 years ago at aged 15 would be...

"When that one teacher asks you, tell the truth. She only wants the best for you and she's taking the time to ask you because she cares. She'll help you get out and get help. She'll meet them and know you're telling the truth. Don't be afraid. It wasn't your fault."

Another would be:

"Don't lose touch with her. When you move on to college you will go through hell. You will be so low down you won't even be sure you're alive. She's been your best friend since you were 11. Don't give her up because your anxiety and low self worth is lying to you."

One last piece will be:

"In a few years you will start talking to someone who will change your life. 18 months after that you will meet him for the first time. He will change everything. He will make you feel beautiful for the first time in your life, even if you don't truly believe it. You will be completely vulnerable with him but you won't care. He will keep you safe, and he will protect you from everyone who has harmed you. You will be his entire world and he will give up his entire life just for you. It won't be easy to maintain your relationship, and you will find yourself in the most trying of times. But please always remember that he will love you more than life itself, so regardless of how horrible things become, and how much you fight or argue, he will always be there holding your hand and keeping you safe. Love him with your entire heart and never let him go."

(Sorry I have lots more but I think this mini essay is enough :L)

I am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

Advice i would have given 10 years ago to my 15 year old self.

Don't let it consume you, its was never your fault. Healing takes time and you can't be scared of shadows. Take every opportunity you get, be creative and work hard. Don't be scared to say you don't understand, make sure you do understand by the time you leave the classroom, even if it takes 4 attempts for someone to explain it in a way you understand. Be gentle with yourself, your can and will find a nudget of peace within yourself. you have a gorgeous body, take care of it. Find some exercise you enjoy and do it regularly. And don't study music beyond high school!