Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should i still be volunteering?

casscubcasscub Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
Hey,

So the last few months I have been in and out of hospitals for a number of reasons one of which is my mental health but also because i was diagnosed with autism a few weeks ago now. And i was just wondering should I still be volunteering? Just im in school but its not main stream schooling its in a school at the hospital im currently at but my boss has said she doesn't want me to stop. However at the same time i have done so much since the 11th May I dont really know if I should stop it. Theres been no issues raised with local authority or my current main stream school when i do go back or the school im at at the unit or with my boss. Im volunteering again this sunday (5th July) but i dont know if i should be or not because of everything thats happened?

Any advice would be very welcome right now because it is confusing for me.

Casscub

(I cant read black text on a white background that well) Sorry if changing the text colour has made it harder for you guys to read

"Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose" 
Lyndon B.Johnson 

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What sort of volunteering do you do? Whether or not you should keep it up, depends in what it is, and what risks the volunteering might place on your health or risks your health might place on the volunteering.

If you volunteer manager is aware of your health problems and happy for you to continue, and it's not causing you any problems then why not keep it up.
  • casscubcasscub Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
    Its on a steam heritage railway and my boss is aware of what i have and my autism i just dont know if i should because i dont want the railway to suffer loss of customers or profits in the shops because of me.

She wants me to keep on volunteering and wants me to stay but i jut dont know if i should be :'(
    Lyndon B.Johnson 
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Providing the volunteer manager knows about your situation and is happy to let you continue, and you are happy to do so, I wouldn't worry. It can be good to still have the routine of doing things and this can be beneficial to your recovery.

If you are worried about your capability to do so, or you are risking people in your care it might be worth talking to the volunteer manager to discuss your worries and see what they think.

plugitin wrote: »
    Providing the volunteer manager knows about your situation and is happy to let you continue, and you are happy to do so, I wouldn't worry. It can be good to still have the routine of doing things and this can be beneficial to your recovery.

If you are worried about your capability to do so, or you are risking people in your care it might be worth talking to the volunteer manager to discuss your worries and see what they think.

I know im not putting others in danger its just my verbal communitcation that suffers most :/ and thats whats related to my autism
    Lyndon B.Johnson 
    It's worth saying, just because you have an autism diagnosis it doesn't change who you are. You still interact with the customers exactly the same as you did before the diagnosis, so as long as you're still happy volunteering there should be no reason why you shouldn't. :)
    ninaballet wrote: »
    It's worth saying, just because you have an autism diagnosis it doesn't change who you are. You still interact with the customers exactly the same as you did before the diagnosis, so as long as you're still happy volunteering there should be no reason why you shouldn't. :)

Okay thank you Nina <3:) *hug*
    Lyndon B.Johnson 
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    casscub wrote: »

I know im not putting others in danger its just my verbal communitcation that suffers most :/ and thats whats related to my autism

This won't have changed from the moment you got the diagnosis - the diagnosis is there to give a structure to your treatment and in some ways act as a passport to getting the help you need. Aside from this, nothing is different :)
    If you're that worried, talk to your manager.

Part of the reason I left my volunteering role was because my disabilities and issues surrounding them (I've got problems with my ears and eyes, which means my hearing is too sensitive and I can't see colour or detail too that well) and despite the efforts of the manager (who is partially sighted) there was nothing they could really do.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    The biggest regret I would say I made was letting Autism hold me back. Yes, I blamed it for everything, but then I slowly made the changes I needed to, I love volunteering, it keeps me going, and a diagnosis you've received doesn't stop you from being the great volunteer you currently are. The great thing I found about volunteering was they were quite flexible, and worked around my needs, but was defo something that made me feel like I had purpose when everything else was going pretty dreadfully.
    Woth is right. If you can, (and yes, this is sometimes hard!) turn this into a positive.
    I continued voluteering and did a shift today and they offered me the chance to be promoted to second in command in a special event very soon :D
    Lyndon B.Johnson 
    Well done!
    Melian wrote: »
    Well done!

Lyndon B.Johnson