Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

My first festival

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm off to my first festival in just over a week. So, any advice? I've been told to bring ear plugs! It's also my first time flying.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Melian.

TheSite have a whole bunch of articles on festivals. Some ones I thought you may find helpful these ones.

http://www.thesite.org/travel-and-lifestyle/festivals/festival-tips-10350.html

http://www.thesite.org/travel-and-li...ist-10344.html

http://www.thesite.org/travel-and-li...ncy-10355.html

http://www.thesite.org/travel-and-li...als-10339.html

Hope these are helpful. With regards to flying, how long is your flight? I suggest music and books/magazines.

Hope your okay, and enjoy the festival :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks. We're off to France; so it's only a few hours flying.
    It's okay, how are you feeling about the whole thing as a whole? Are you looking forward to it?
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Rather nervous though! It's only the second I've been abroad. (last time was 2005)
    Aw hold onto to the fact that your looking forward to it. It's normal to be nervous, but hopefully the festival atmosphere will help you feel less nervous if you enjoy the festival vibes, who you going with?
    I'm flying over with a friend. We're camping with his band and some of his friends.
    Ah cool. Well I really do hope you enjoy it. Let us know how you get on :heart:
    Thank you!
    Cereal bars, baby wipes, loo roll, clean clothes, ear plugs, wellies, money (sounds dumb but it's easy to forget to bring enough) and try and sleep as comfortably as you can (I didn't a few years ago and my back still hasn't forgiven me :( )!

Which festival are you off to? :)
    Thank you. It's the Django Reinhardt (it's a Jazz festival just outside of Paris) festival.

Money was something that was mentioned right from the start. I know I need enough money; but didn't like the idea of carrying around huge amounts of money. My friend has offered to help me out with this and he said just to pay him back when we get back to England.

I've done camping many times before; but this will be my first festival.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Have fun!

Earplugs are a must, as is dry shampoo, bin bags and carrier bags (for rubbish, putting your things into smaller bags within a big bad, esp at a festival) I'd also take a pen and wee notebook because you might want to write things down, I'd take a travel towel if possible as opposed to a proper one because they are smaller, lighter and dry easier and at least one warm pair of socks and jumper because you can never tell with the weather! I went to Sziget in Hungary 6 years ago and I know how much of a pain having to fly with loads of stuff is!
    Thank you! He told me that he went last year and it rained the whole time!

In terms of flying with stuff - his friend is taking his van over; so he'll be taking my stuff over and I've been told just to take a small bag on the plane with me.

I've got a few travel towels; but didn't think of bringing them.
    Well, the festival was Wednesday to Sunday.

We flew over Wednesday. With the exception of my ears popping, the flying was ok. I've never flown before and was quite nervous. My friend was aware of this and explained what exactly happens.

We arrived Wednesday afternoon and got slightly lost! We had to get a few trains (it's the RER / underground) to where we were and then met his friend to take us to the campsite.

I'd explained to him beforehand that due to my disabilities, I can't really be left alone in strange places and do need a lot of help getting around safely. He was brilliant about this. With my permission, (I asked him to do this) he explained my situation to the others.

We decided not to go to all of the events. We got a 5 day ticket and lent our tickets to friends of ours. We spent most of the festival walking around listening to others playing. We also had a few others play with us too, which was fun!

It was stupidly hot over there! At least it wasn't raining like it was last year!

Someone for whatever reason, ended up buying 2 crates of alcohol free beer. So, I spent most of the festival drinking water and alcohol free beer...
    It sounds like it was a really great experience, despite the fact you couldn't get drunk ;) glad to hear everyone was so understanding. Well done you for taking yourself far out of your comfort zone and getting through it - I hope you're proud of yourself :d