Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Interviews for being a Nursery Nurse

HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
I have applied for quite a few jobs for being a nursery nurse, and I have an interview tomorrow and Monday. I have never had a job interview before so I don't know what to expect, what questions they're going to ask, what I need to bring, and what to prepare.
I would appreciate any help. Thanks :)

Comments

• SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi Hann

I hope everything goes well today and that you'll let us know what happens :) Job interviews can be nerve-wracking experiences and no two are exactly alike. Usually, interviewers want to make sure that you understand what the job is and what is expected of you, so it's a good idea to look at the job description closely before you attend the interview. You can even print out a copy of it and take it with you, as long as you're not sitting there reading it throughout the interview! It's also OK to bring a pen and paper to take notes if you think it'll be helpful.

Interviewers tend to be impressed by politeness, enthusiasm and someone who has carefully considered what the job is before applying (and it sounds like you've done this already). They will likely know that you won't have had much experience of job interviews before now, so they won't be looking to catch you out or make you nervous. Look them in the eye, smile and thank them for their time afterwards. (You could also try the trick I mentioned in chat last night - about pretending you've already got the job and that you're just going in for a chat about it!)

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Sarah
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    They will ask about experience, what makes you fit for the job etc.

However one area they will (or should,d) focus on is safeguarding and child protection - what you would do if you were in a position where you suspect something or if a child disclosed something to you, how you would ensure the safety of the children etc. It's a biggie at the moment.

Good luck!
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Good luck Hann!! Be yourself, be confident and smile :) Some more great tips in one of our Expert Chats here.
  • HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Hey guys, sorry I've only just seen your replies, it went well and I got the job straight away starting tomorrow :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Congratulations Hann! Let us know how your first day goes?
    Again sorry only just seen this .
    First day went good was with babies.
    Second day I hated because all I was doing was sweeping up most of the time, let me oit 20 minutes late on purpose to get me to sweep up.
    Third day was pretty good.
    Didn't go yesterday because I was off ill.
    Today is going good so far.
    However I'm not particularly liking it here which is annoying, I like the kids but don't like the staff, especially keeping me behind made me so annoyed and wanted to leave so bad.
    I just wish this week was a trial week.
    Getting sick of this nursery making me stay 25 minutes longer. YOU WERE IN FUCKING RATIO WHY DIDN'T YOU LET ME GO. Then I had to wait 10 fucking minutes to speak to my supervisor for her to say "oh just do the hours you did today" ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well done for getting the job, some people say it's easier to get another job if you are currently working, so maybe try for another placement.

I'm sorry it's not turned out so nice, but hang in there. Do you drive to work? Only if you don't you could try telling your Supervisor that you need to be out the door each day by five minuets after your meant to finish as you have a bus to catch or a lift waiting.

If you can stick it out a little longer it'll give you time to look for something else & prove to potential employers that you are hard working & dedicated!

If you like working with kids, don't let this experience put you off - one day you could be running your own nursery, and I bet you'd treat your staff with more respect!

Until you find something new, deep steady breaths & try to let all your tension and stress out on the journey home - try not to let it drag your home/social life down.

But if you feel that work is making your whole life miserable then maybe you need to get out ASAP. You're mental health and well being are so important, no job is worth loosing either of those for.

Best wishes and good luck.

Neat
    Thank you. Yeah I've noticed that myself since I've had like 5 phone calls and 3 emails from other jobs.
    I get the bus, and unless I leave at exactly 5pm or a couple minutes after, I will miss the bus and have to wait for 30 minutes for the next one. Yeah I will tell her tomorrow.
    I do actually have an interview on Wednesday for another job, one a lot closer to home so hopefully I get that one.
    Yeah I love working with little kids, I'm trying not to, I've had a few people say "oh you'll get used to it" I don't want to get used to staying behind so late for no reason. I would love to do that haha.
    Yeah I often rant to my mum as soon as I get out by phoning her.
    It is making me miserable because it's making me not want to work there and steering me towards not wanting to work in nurseries if all staff are like this.
    Thank you Neat :)
    Flipping supervisor is pissing me off. I am getting sick of her saying "oh interact with the children, get them to come with you and play" I'm sorry but if the kids don't want to play with me I won't force them to.She came over to me to talk and she was saying "you just sitting there doesn't look good for the nursery" so I snapped by accident and said "I'm watching the children" and then one of the boys were playing near me and he walked away and she said "he just walked away" I felt like saying "well I can't exactly do anything if you're talking to me." Fucking sick of this place. I do not want to come in on Thursday and Friday.
    Got interview tomorrow and Thursday, fingers crossed I get one of them and that I like it there