Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Breast Reduction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, a few people know that I want to have my breasts reduced, for a number of reasons, including severe back neck and shoulder pain, and indentations in my shoulders

Now that I'm 18, I doubt that I will grow anymore, and I have decided that I want them reduced a few sizes - they are sooooo out of proportion with my body!

Does anyone know how would I go about this? Would I have to see my GP first? How would you qualify to get them done on the NHS? Or how much do they cost to get them done privatly?

Also, does anyone have some instant information about it? Has anyone here had a reduction done? I know it's a more complicated procedure than getting implants! Or does anyone know of any good websites?

Comments

• Options
    Ok, you can get the reduction on the NHS, but you need to qualify for it. Have you been to see your doctor before about your shoulder and back pain? Because i THINK (and i'm not sure about this), that you need to have a past history of problems caused by the size of your breasts. You also need to have a certain size breasts for them to even consider doing the operation. I don't know how much the op costs privately, but explore all the NHS options first... good luck, i hope it all goes well for you! S. x x x
  • Options
    I could be wrong but i think you can grow until you are 21. Not very sure though, but guess its something your doctor might say to you.
  • Options
    Always speak to your GP about something like this first. They will be able to put you in touch with the right people.
  • Options
    Big Boobs
    Courtesy of handbag.com:
    The availability of breast reduction surgery on the NHS is not uniform across the country. Each Health Authority has a budget for plastic surgery operations for the year. Different Health Authorities make different budget allocations for breast reduction or breast augmentation operations. In some areas, there is no budget allocation for augmentations, and only a limited allocation for breast reductions.

The first thing to do is see your doctor and tell him about your physical symptoms and psychological distress. If there are operations available on the NHS in your area, he can then petition for funding on your behalf, and refer you to a plastic surgeon for an assessment. A reduction operation would result in quite significant scars, and would also mean that you would be unable to breast-feed in the future. For some ladies, the alleviation of the physical and psychological symptoms makes these problems worthwhile. I'm sure your doctor would be happy to have a more detailed discussion with you. I hope things turn out well for you.

Also, FYI, http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/hsc/document/hicdm01/pt1-e1099.htm

Your GP is the place to start :)
  • Options
    Quick update: I went to see my doctor today. She was very understanding and accepted the fact that I would like to have a reduction because of physical reasons. She has refered me to a consultant, and I will be seeing her sometime in July or August. So things are beginning to move along! :D
  • Options
    Oh, I was gonna tell you: I saw a breast reduction on The Operation (my favourite prgramme at the moment :rolleyes: ) - maybe I should spare the gory details until after you've had the op...suffice to say: :eek:
  • Options
    I think I've seen that one, is it the woman who plays basketball a lot or something?

I really need to get out more! :o
  • Options
    She used to be in the Olympics (handball I think, but it may have been basketball), and she likes to run a lot...

Have you smelt burning flesh yet go_away? :eek:

(This is not the way to prepare someone for an operation :rolleyes: )
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish

Have you smelt burning flesh yet go_away? :eek:

:eek: well a friend of mine burnt his hand on an oven once and got kinda cooked, smelt like chicken ;) but seriously, no - have you? The worst thing I've seen so far is this woman having rods put into her hip and the surgeon had a 4th year med student and he was helping him to drill them in! :eek:

(I won't mention the 1st time I had to shadow a sutre and I nearly passed out :o;):p )
  • Options
    Smells like cheesy wotsits :eek:

I watched a laparotomy at King's, and they were using a cautery to cut through the adipose tissue. Not nice.
  • Options
    [Homer Simpson voice] mmmmm cheesy wotsits [/Homer Simpson voice] :p

Just reminded me, I have work experience tomorrow, grrrr sleazy SHO keeps giving me the eye, or maybe its a nervous twitch, grrrr @ all sleazy SHO's! ;)
  • Options
    lol, you'll be a sleazy SHO one day :D

SO what are you doing on WEX?
  • Options
    lol, you'll be a sleazy SHO one day :D

Well someone has to whip those pesky PRHOs into shape!! ;) I'm in the eye clinic at the mo', I'm with the pre op nurse at the moment, it's mainly dealing with cateracts and squints but everyone there is very nice.

I did something naughty, I asked a nurse friend of mine if I could shadow this cardiology research thing in London and they said it would be fine teeheehee but apparently their funding has been cut so the wex been put off until July, no problem though they said I could still go up.

Now all I have to do is start my DoE silver, get my wex form typed up, send my docs letter to all the unis, go to the summer school, do my personal statement and the world shall be my oyster! mwahahahah

Oh yeah and I have to get the grades :( (long story but my teachers said they would predict me whatever I want :D )
  • Options
    Medical schools are all cynical about predicted grades - they'll be more bothered about your As grades nowadays.

But I'm sure you'll dazzle them at interview anyway :)

*can't stand eye ops*
    Eww eww eww :eek:
  • Options
    Medical schools are all cynical about predicted grades - they'll be more bothered about your As grades nowadays.

Nooooooooo don't tell me that! Gargh, I've really screwed things up. :(
  • Options
    Come on, they won't be that bad...

There's nothing worse, from a medical school's point of view, than seeing BCCC for AS, and then 3 A's for A-level. They can spot the over-generous schools a mile off.

If you don't get the grades you want, you can always retake. But don't let them over-exaggerate your predictions. ABB is plenty to get an interview - you can explain yourself at interview better than you can in the personal statement.

Don't worry about it, just work hard, put in a good UCAS form and the rest will slot into place. And there's always Clearing too - contrary to popular belief, plenty of people get in via Clearing - especially with PMS and UEA opening up this year.