Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sectioned - questions about visiting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi I have a friend who's currently sectioned at hospital but plan to visit her in next few days. I've never visited someone before in that situation and just wondered if anyone had any advice on what you can/can't do - apart from not bring anything inappropriate in and not taking her off site?

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    thw6 wrote: »
    Hi I have a friend who's currently sectioned at hospital but plan to visit her in next few days. I've never visited someone before in that situation and just wondered if anyone had any advice on what you can/can't do - apart from not bring anything inappropriate in and not taking her off site?

You need to phone up pre-hand to visiting her. The hospital will have specific visiting hours, well, mine did, but I was aloud to go outside of those hours at times, but again, your phone call should cover that. It's just like a general visit with a friend, anything you want to give her, including food, needs to be handed into staff, so they can search though it.

You might get turned away varying on how she's behaved during the day, and if staff think they think she's unsafe, etc. So, beware of that, other than that, it's just what you'd do when visiting a friend even out of hospital, you'd phone them, and arrange it.

I do hope the visit goes well :heart:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to phone up pre-hand to visiting her. The hospital will have specific visiting hours, well, mine did, but I was aloud to go outside of those hours at times, but again, your phone call should cover that. It's just like a general visit with a friend, anything you want to give her, including food, needs to be handed into staff, so they can search though it.

You might get turned away varying on how she's behaved during the day, and if staff think they think she's unsafe, etc. So, beware of that, other than that, it's just what you'd do when visiting a friend even out of hospital, you'd phone them, and arrange it.

I do hope the visit goes well :heart:

Thanks for the advice, the visit went really well, nurses were really nice and got to spend afternoon/early eve there. :) xx
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    thw6 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, the visit went really well, nurses were really nice and got to spend afternoon/early eve there. :) xx

I'm glad the visit went well, and I'm sure it meant an awful lot to her to!! :heart:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiya,

Just to update to you on my friend - she's doing really well and is now back home. Also we're now in a relationship and really happy! Early days still

Thanks for the original advice :)