Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Someone that hurt my family is moving to an open prison

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No. Someone that hurt a family member when I was younger is being moved to a category D prison, an open prison. Which means the fucker can have 4 days a month leave. He was sentenced to 10 years in a category A prison and has served around 7 years but he should stay in a category A prison. X

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I understand this must be incredibly difficult for you, but even the most serious offenders deserve a chance to start their life again. Moving to a category D prison, gives this person a chance to be rehabilitated properly so he'll be less likely to reoffend. If he's been truly rehabilitated, recognises that what he did was wrong and just wants to get on with his life then no one should deny him the opportunity to do so. It doesn't change the fact that what he did to your family member was wrong of course, but everyone deserves a second chance. If he fucks it up again then he'll receive an even worse sentence, the best thing you can do is simply move on with your life and not bother to think about this person. It wastes too much energy to hate someone.
    I hear what your saying but he doesn't deserve a second chance, he really doesn't, trust me. He needs putting out of his misery. X
    I hear what your saying but he doesn't deserve a second chance, he really doesn't, trust me. He needs putting out of his misery. X

It sounds like you're still raw from the experience and perhaps haven't had the opportunity to resolve the pain and conflict this person must have caused. Do you think confronting this person at a later date would make you feel better or perhaps talking some of this through with a counsellor could help?
    I would love to meet him yes. I don't know how to go about doing it?