Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Greasy hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know it's natural for hair to become greasy after a good few days but at the moment, mine is getting like that every. single. day. and it's so much effort. Sometimes I'll be able to wash whilst leaving my hair in a bun but at the moment I'm having to wash my hair each time too - meaning I then have to dry it and straighten it, which I really don't have the motivation to do everyday.

Gosh knows why it's getting greasy everyday - does anyone have any ideas? More importantly, are there any hair products you think are worth trying?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you use any product on your hair day to day? Aside from when you wash it.
    MikeS wrote: »
    Do you use any product on your hair day to day? Aside from when you wash it.

Only spray for when I straighten it but not all of the time. It doesn't seem to make a difference, either way.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Aaand... Welcome to my world. Several things to ask!
    Do you touch your hair much during the day? If so, the grease from your fingertips will be transferring to your hair!
    Do you always use the same shampoo? If so, it's time for a change - you get a build up of product because your hair is just used to it.
    Have you cleaned your hair brushes etc? When you brush your hair there will be small amounts of grease transferring to the brush. You wash your hair, then use the same greasy brush - so time to give it a try.
    What are the ingredients in the shampoo you're using? If it's a harsh shampoo with lots of chemicals and sodium laureth sulphate etc is in it, your scalp will be working overtime to get some moisture back thereby making it greasier (which brings me on to the next question)
    How hot is the water you're using to wash your hair? Using lukewarm water to wash your hair is optimal because it won't completely strip away the oils leading to hyper production when you've washed it.
    You probably know, but your hair will get used to things pretty quickly - so if you start washing it every day, your hair will get greasy every day. I know it's grim wandering around with greasy hair, but if you can hold out from washing it every day, it'll reset the balance.
    Final thing, diet - when I'm not eating healthily, I get more grease. Not sure what your situ is, but putting it out there anyway :)
    Also, I don't know how long your hair is, but the longer mine is, the greasier it seems to get :chin:
    Sometimes I just tie my hair up as soon as I've washed it and leave it and it stops it from some of the grease! My hair is an absolute nightmare in terms of grease though so I know what it's like!
    Like plugitin said, it's best to avoid products with Sulfates and silicones - the naked range from boots is good, they have a fairly good selection of no Sulfates/silicone/parabens hair care in larger stores.

I would stop washing so much and use a dry shampoo. The more you wash the greasier you hair will become. It's best to get to a stage where you can wash your hair once or twice a week.
    Crikey bob! Thanks guys :) I used a different shampoo this morning and a new hairbrush. I'll try and make a conscious effort to do all suggested. I'm having hair trimmed tomorrow so hopefully that might make a difference too.
    My hair gets greasy everyday when it gets too long - round about down to my boobs. It gets on my face more, i have to touch it more to keep it out the way, i find shoulder length hair is better for me.
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    My hair gets greasy everyday when it gets too long - round about down to my boobs. It gets on my face more, i have to touch it more to keep it out the way, i find shoulder length hair is better for me.

My hair is long ish - I might just start tying it up more for now then. Thanks Lexi.
    I get this!

I have to make an effort not to wash mine everyday - I swapped shampoos and generally find that stuff from lush is good for my hair in terms of being able to wash every other day rather than daily. I use Big as well as Juicy depending on what I feel like and also a purple shampoo bar which I've forgotten the name of...

Also use dry shampoo - definitely worth it although took me a while to figure out that even if it made my hair feel a bit gross it still looked alright.

I've seen various things on the net about using apple cider vinegar for hair as a rinse, although haven't got hold of any yet.

I really don't think I'll ever be able to wash my hair less than every other day. Even when I go sailing and don't have a shower for days on end (sometimes more than a week - hair gets SO bad) and I have my first shower after that my hair still gets greasy quickly.
    I was told talc works just as well as dry shampoo?

This is a problem I'm starting to get as well. May change shampoo and see if that works. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week. (more if I swim)
    Melian wrote: »
    I was told talc works just as well as dry shampoo?

This is a problem I'm starting to get as well. May change shampoo and see if that works. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week. (more if I swim)

I think talc and dry shampoo do the same sort of thing - powder absorbing the grease - but talc is more difficult to apply evenly, and will leave your hair looking grey and weird and clumpy.