Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being referred back to the CMHT cos of nightmares

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been really struggling at night for months and have to have someone else around at night because being on my own scares me senseless and I often need calming down when I have nightmares, but I finally decided to go talk to the GP about it a few weeks ago - got given Mitazipine and it made me sick so i stopped taking it. I can't have more EMDR therapy which helped before because of the on going court case. I've tried almost all SSRI/SNRIs (fluoxetine, setraline, citalopram, venlafaxine, duloxotine, etc) so I don't know what meds they could give me, and I'm worried it could look bad. I don't want more help but I can't live forever having to have someone with me to calm me down at night...

I know what'll happen - get reffered to psychiatrist who says nothing can be done until court case is over, so back to square one, but I feel like I don't have any other options.

Comments

• Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Miss_Riot

Sorry your having such bad nightmares :( I know it's frustrating, but it does sound like it's worth following the referral through. Psychiatrists vary a lot, so there's always the chance that you get someone with a useful new perspective or idea. So maybe worth the risk of wasting a morning or afternoon?

I also just wanted to say I imagine it feels like forever at the moment, but it sounds like the court case is a stop on being able to move forward, and hopefully things will be better after that. If you've found a therapy that works with you, definitely run with it when you can.

Hope you're feeling OK
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's worth the time I just don't want to get my hopes up that someone has created some super cure for PTSD that will wipe all the shite from my brain. I actually blamed my mother for not acting on her instincts and allowing my father around me yesterday...that's pretty messed up, I don't think I've ever said that before.

I'm getting really anxious at night, has stupid thoughts are entering my head like that I might have another psychotic episode (I had one in 2009 for 3 weeks, nothing since) and crap like that. The stress of what's going on in MrRiot's life is playing on me - he's got a stressful job that doesn't pay him well enough for what he does and is looking for a new job whilst also having to deal with his son not being well looked after by his ex and social services being able to do nothing about it. I'm getting worried that my involvement with social services and what happened to me as a kid will mean we have social services on our back when we have another little one. I'm even freaking out about it if I even can have kids after being told I have polycystic ovaries (not PCOS though). I'm also getting very worried about finding £6220 for my MA by September after I was let down for funding because of a clerical error.

I could really do with a decent nights sleep!
    Hi Miss Riot, this must not be easy for u at the moment. You got alot on ur plate which is becoming more and more stressful. Im really sorry that ur going through this. I really dont know how u do it! You are a strong, brave and determined person for sure. I really do think u are :)

Could going to the psychiatrist after this court case has sorted its self out be a good idea? Its a shame u cant get the therapy right now but another idea is going back to ur GP and seeing if theres anything they can help u with in the mean time.

Im sorry ur not able to sleep well at all at night with all of this going on. Is there anything at all what can help u to relax like having a hot bath, watching a film, listening to soothing music, reading a book? I find*the drink Horlicks helps me to sleep.

I hope things start looking up for u and Mr Riot. Atleast u both got each other :)

Hugs xx
    Once the court case is over then its all fine I can do whatever is going to help me best, but I may have to wait another 6-9 months before it actually gets to court. The GP is the one referring me back to the CMHT, shes quite unsyempathetic and actually said to me - well what can I do about it!

I've been using a mindfulness app to get me to sleep but its not helping with waking up during the night with nightmares.
    Hopefully things will work out in the end.

Are u and Mr Riot ok? How is doing with all of this going on? Good to know he's there for u. That's all that matters.

Its a shame its gonna take that long for the case to go to court. Maybe seeing the CMHT will be a good idea for now and dont worry about what that doctor thinks. You won't see her again unless u need to. Atleast u will have the support again. How u feeling in urself? I do think looking after itself for now will be the best option.

I see ur not sleeping properly again. Did u say u tried mindfullness before? Did that help? Have u though about taking any remedies like kalms to try and help u sleep? There are lots of theraputic remedies out there like even strong scents including Lavander or Jasmin u can use in the bath, in bed or as a smell to use what can be something to try to help u sleep or candles are good to have to relax u. Would this be something u could consider?

I wouldn't give up on that sleeping app u downloaded. I would keep trying with that. If it still doesn't help could using a different app help? Something more benefical?

I hope things get better for u and remember u got us to talk to.

Hugs x
    CMHT came back to me to say they won't be offering me any further support until after the court case...still no word on when or if that might be and I was told to keep using the sexual assault referral centre for counselling. Apart from it's not been helping and I've been thinking of quitting the counselling there - I told her that but no change to their decision. The mindfulness isn't getting me past the fear of sleeping, nor will all of the aromatherapy in the world (something I know a bit about). So I feel like I'm back to square one. Do I go to my GP about sleeping medication? Not that it's going to get rid of the nightmares though.
    Hi Miss Riot, I'm sorry to hear that the court case is taking longer then u thought. I know it must be hard for u but it soon all be over with.

Its a shame u cant receive any other form of counselling or support. Your not coping well and u only seem to have Mr Riot and no one else for support. Do u have any family or friends u can talk to or not? Sounds like u could do with someone being there for u.

I don't think there's nothing u can do about the sexual assault counseller ur still seeing because its not like now u can go and recieve some other form of counselling at the moment. You mentioned the CMHT so I suppose u can go back to that after the court case has gone. Are u able to contact them by phone and speak to them further without getting any counselling from there?

The GP sounds like a good idea. Maybe booking an appointment with them as a emergency appointment can get u to receive some kind of help in the mean time and u could arrange u speak to them on the phone so they can check to see how ur doing. What do u think? You do want to take something for the sleeping if u can.

All u can do is wait untill the court case comes along but in the mean time u could consider what I said. I'm not sure if Mind would be any good for u? They are a talking service.

Could think about that x
    There's no Mind service in my county, CMHT won't have anything to do with me until the case is over, and I only have my mum who is going through some of this too. Most of my friends don't really get it. I don't want to take medication to get to sleep but I don't know what other options I have
    Well it's good u have someone there as well for support. I know it's a shame cant get any further support at the moment. You always have Mr Riot as well. Have u spoken to him?

I do think it's still a good idea to go to ur GP and ask for support with ur sleep. They may not put u on medication but help with ways to get u to sleep better. You said u have done mindfulness. Try and go back to that if u can. That can help in a way two.

The Samaritans are good people to talk to. They are a listening service and u can either email them or ring them. Would this be good for u?

There anything u can do in the mean time to help u relax? Maybe cooking, reading, walking or watching a film? You could take up any of these things and meet new people. That's something u can so and do and it will help.

I hope that helps x
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hey Miss_Riot

That does sound rubbish, I'm sorry. Have you tried following all the sleep hygiene guidelines fairly strictly? They can make some difference.

Or herbal sleeping stuff (pills, tablets, they mainly taste pretty bad!).

And could you use a support service like Samaritans or SupportLine to help deal with nightmares when you wake up in the morning, or fears before you go to sleep? I know it's not a substitute for counselling, but anything to take a bit of pressure at the moment sounds worth a try ...
    Hi Miss Riot, wanted to check if ur feeling better today?

Have u made a GP appointment yet? Would be a good idea if u can see someone as soon as possible. At least u can get support and advice from them. You should mention about the sleep two and see what they can do.

Also I wanted to know wether ur taking any medication for anything? I just wanted to ask as I wasn't sure if u been to see the doctor before about anything else. Is there anything else on ur mind which u want help with?

You and Mr Riot spoken? How is he? Im glad to hear also that ur mum is here to support u so ur not on ur own. You have us if u ever need to talk.

Please try and not to worry. I know it's hard not to but ur already going through enough with everything and u don't deserve to worry about other things.

Hugs x
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Sending you *hug*s first class lovely.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Hi Miss Riot, u ok?

I'm here if u wanna talk x