Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Going back to old job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, so, ive been all over the place with my career since i quit my long term job just over a year ago, and i know alot of people will say im too all over the place and am just going back for comfort but i am thinking about going back so i can use the experience and the knowledge i gained and move up.

When i left i was an assistant manager and have been told that i could have gone far. One year and two jobs later I havent gotten anywhere i am happy in and dont really have a 'dream' career. Right now im in a crappy, part time receptionist job and it is not going to help me progress or even afford to be independent. I feel like going back to my old job will allow me to move up, I'll be a manager which means running my own store, deciding my own work week.

Im having some trial shifts to see how i integrate back in, and had my first day today. As much as i feel like this is a good decision to make and i know that i can handle it and can do the job well, there's always the niggling feeling of why i quit in the first place. Im actually going through a time at the moment where i re-think and doubt everything so maybe this is part of that. Or maybe there's a reason im having doubts?

Would it be stupid to go back to this or does it make sense to do something that you know you can do and fairly enjoy doing (i like the interaction with other staff and customers, and the sense of prise when you're running a store and essentially a business by yourself)

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey Lexi,
    I was just wondering whether there was there a certain career path you had in mind when you left your old job nearly a year ago?

Could it be that on the path you chose it takes a while to get up to where you want to be, like may have done in your previous long term job?

In the past year you will have gained other skills, which, like you say, will help you if and when you go back to your old job.

It wouldn't be stupid to go back, because you know it is a job you can do, and mostly enjoy - but I'd also think about what it was that drove you away in the first place.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Th reason I left was because it had been my only job since I was 16 and at 23 wanted some different skills, officey admin stuff. I know that a desk job isn't for me now but I don't know what is. I didn't leave for a career, I took the first job that came along.
    If you don't really know what you want elsewhere, then returning to something that you know you are good at and that you mostly enjoy seems like a perfectly fine idea to me.
    During the day whilst at work, I think this is fine, I can do this. Now I've woken up early and all I can think about is the negative parts of the job: long shifts, random timetable, basically never knowing when you'll be on the rota, weekends...

I've spoken to some other managers who say that although it is hard work I should go for it. I'm not sure if I really want to do this but don't have any other real options so I'm caught between a rock and a hard place
    Well going back could be good for you - you have built up office/admin skills which will be an asset in the assistant manager role, and it will help you to progress further.

I'm with you on the next best thing, and even if you only half enjoy it, it's getting you higher up in the business. One of the things to remember would be that as you move up, your shift patterns might get less randomised and you would perhaps be able to pick and choose more? Additionally, once you have worked in a role higher up for a year or so, you would perhaps be able to find a new job somewhere with different shift patterns etc? These skills would also be useful in other jobs, were you to decide on a different career path later on.
    Hi thanks for your help Kate.

I had a long chat with my mum lsay night who's been helping me through it and thinks it's good option to go back, I just keep thinking of all the negative things and scared everything will go wrong. I'm seeing my manager later today so I will ask his opinion and let him know my concerns
    Good luck!
    Well i quit my part time job today so im not really left with a choice on whether to go back or not - i have to or be unemployed. I dont know if have just made a massive mistake in doing this.

I told my boss im thinking of the assistant manager vacancy and he said if i want it its mine. I guess since im going to be there anyway i might as well do the best job i can and take the position... I also told him of my burn out last year and how i didnt really tell my then manager, just kept it bottled up and stressed me out. He told me that the same thing happens to him and i should say if im feeling stressed and there's loads of support around.

I know if i dont have a choice now, but im terrified of what the future will be and if i can even handle it when it gets here
    I'm struggling at work today, I don't know what I'm doing here, if I should stay or do something else and what else can I do? This situation is too much for me to handle
    Which work? Back in the coffee shop?

You've only be back a couple of shifts, give yourself a chance.
    Yep im back there now. There is an assistant manager position open which my manager says he's happy for me to have so im going to accept but ask to be retrained first before Im wearing the shirt. I think im getting stressed about accepting the job before i can remember any of the paperwork
    Remember what your boss said, if you're stressed and worried tell him so they can help. I think getting retrained is a good idea.
    Sounds like a good plan.