Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What sort of debate between party leaders would interest you?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
David Cameron is going to participate In one televised debate with six other party leaders. The Daily Telegraph, the Guardian and YouTube are trying to organise a digital debate between party leaders. Charities are even organising debates in which their members can question politicians.

Would you prefer debates to take place on television or online? Is a debate more exciting if you have an opportunity to submit a question to the participants?

If you were in charge of organising a debate between party leaders, how would you make it appeal to young people?

Comments

• Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Personally, I'd like to see a debate where people get buzzed out for speaking evasively, or claiming to have answers which they don't. Like a gameshow.

So, they can all get their BBC airtime (which is worth a lot), but at the price of speaking straightforwardly and honestly. I would watch that!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Danny! wrote: »
    Personally, I'd like to see a debate where people get buzzed out for speaking evasively, or claiming to have answers which they don't. Like a gameshow.

So, they can all get their BBC airtime (which is worth a lot), but at the price of speaking straightforwardly and honestly. I would watch that!

Haha a bit like just a minute? Get buzzed if they haven't answered the question in 30 seconds etc etc.
    A lot of preparation goes into what the leaders say during debates. Would this format mean politicians had to speak from the heart rather than saying what they planned to say before the meeting?
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I'd have thought so. Politicians are very adept at avoiding questions in order to spin their own line. I watched one the other day trying to explain that the deficit had reduced, despite the host having evidence to hand that it hadn't. She just kept ignoring his question, it was so fucking annoying I wanted to punch her.

As far as I was aware the deficit has reduced year on year since the Tories got in - both in amount borrowed and as a percentage of GDP.

_73120912_f4816163-ab6b-4de6-8ab2-eb0de07c4dd9.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25944653
    Danny! wrote: »

This!