Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How much sex is normal?

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
Sex is generally something we do in private. But that doesn’t stop us wanting to know what other people are doing. Sex surveys aim to fill that gap, telling us what others get up to, and letting us know what’s ‘normal’ or ‘not normal’.

A survey commissioned by Channel 4 in 2011 gave some interesting results, including:
  • M&S shoppers are more likely than any other shoppers to have an orgy.
  • Country music fans have the fewest number of partners but are most likely to have had crabs.
  • Waitrose shoppers are the most likely to use nipple clamps

Different surveys give quite different answers to the question "how much sex is normal?". What do you think, how much sex is normal? How do you know if you're having enough sex? Or too much?

article-1315720-0B60CD05000005DC-90_468x302.jpg

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    can't imagine any of the m&s shoppers i know (my grandmother and our next door neighbours) having an orgy
    I can totally imagine yummy mummies chatting about BDSM in the aisles of Waitrose now!!

I think twice a day is normal I think once every couple of weeks is normal (especially if you have kids!) it's totally dependent on your situation!
    It's interesting as it's easy to compare yourself with others when it comes to thinking about how much sex is normal, but what is 'normal' to one person is different to the other!

There is no universal normal in my opinion - so long as you're happy with how much sex you're having, that's fine! :thumb:
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    On a related note - is it normal to want sex about the same amount as your partner?
    I agree with the others. As long as it suits you and your partner, do whatever makes you happy. :) The word normal frustrates me in it's use.
    NatalieW wrote: »
    It's interesting as it's easy to compare yourself with others when it comes to thinking about how much sex is normal, but what is 'normal' to one person is different to the other!

There is no universal normal in my opinion - so long as you're happy with how much sex you're having, that's fine! :thumb:

Yeah definitely. These things can vary so much between people that the idea of a universal "normal" amount of sex is a bit misleading. Even for any one person, the amount of sex can vary depending on how they are feeling at the time or what the situation is. When it comes to people who identify as asexual, they might be perfectly happy with no sex at all, so the idea of a normal amount of sex isn't very helpful to them.

So yes, I agree - so long as you're happy, then it's all good!
    To be honest, the article (on the link) made me laugh at some points. It is quite interesting but I am not sure they are doing the research in a right way :D

And yes, as most of you already said, I also think that it depends on the individual and the situation for how much sex you want to have. Its normal as long as both partners involved are happy and enjoy it, and I dont think we should count how many times and how we should be having sex.

P.s. We are all way too different to have a universal definition of 'normal' for anything!
    I reckon it entirely depends on your situation, how busy you are, how old are you, what are your personal preferences.. as long as you and your partner are happy, I think it's normal! :)

Miss_Riot, I had the same thought! I'm sure I'll be thinking about this survey when next time I do my weekly shopping at Waitrose :D
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Surely this is a question with no answer. I don't really see how it can be too much or too little. I'm 20 but I haven't had sex before, mainly due to the fact I was insecure about my body, but even now it just comes down to the fact of I don't want to. If we were told X amount of sex is normal then wouldn't that make people who just arnt ready feel pressured or weird?

It did when I was at high school when other were saying you need to get layed and stuff. But it should just come down to how that person feels about it and if their partner is t happy, yes by all means talk to them about it. But just because they won't have sex with you dosnt mean they don't like you, it could just be as simple as they don't want to or arnt ready.

As for people who have sex a lot, that is up to them. As lon as both people are happy why dose it matter? It's not as if you go to your freinds and family and say "I had sex last night and the night before ect."
    I guess it comes down to the person - as has been mentioned on here. Maybe we never really feel like we are getting enough sex...it comes down to whether you are in a relationship - so have the chance to have regular sex. I guess it also depends at what stage of a relationship you are - at the start, in the honeymoon stage - you can't get out of bed - but if you have been together for a number of years, the sex might not be so....frequent.

The results of the survey did make me laugh though :d
    I dont think theres no such thing as how much is normal. I think it depends with u and ur partner what works best for u. You could do it twice a day or once a week and it still being a normal thing. I wouldnt worry about it. The only time u should worry is if u and ur partner hasnt slept with each other for a while or one of u goes cold during it. I dont think u should pay attention to what other people say or asking ur friends. What u feel most comfortable with.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Catwoman wrote: »
    The only time u should worry is if u and ur partner hasnt slept with each other for a while or one of u goes cold during it.

That's interesting Catwoman. How long would you say is long enough that you should worry?
    Depends on the two people who are in a relationship together. Again, they both have to discuss about it with each other. Having sex doesnt have to be a limit or more then the average unless u and ur partner feels so.

The only time I did say where u may get worried is if u both werent intimate with each other no more. In a relationship there has to be a level of intimacy some where no matter how many times u did. Once a week or twice, if u know u two are as intimate no more then u both need to talk. Im only going by what I have heard in magazines, online, by people etc.

I think its really important for u and ur partner to have regular check ups if u both do sleep with each other pretty often. Your both would be able to trust one another more and u will feel better that u both have been checked. You both got to be open and honest and if u dont then the relationship wont work. This is very important when it comes to sex.

Though by all means try not to worry and stay safe.