Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Using psychedelic drugs to treat depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I came across this article today on the potential benefits of using psychedelic drugs such as LSD to treat depression.
We’ve banned research on psychedelic drugs and other drugs like cannabis for 50 years. Truly, in terms of the amount of wasted opportunity, it’s way greater than the banning of the telescope. This is a truly appalling level of censorship.

Read the full article here: http://tinyurl.com/mhcddho

Thoughts, anyone? Should this sort of research be allowed? What upsides or downsides can you see? :chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MDMA was used in the 50s to treat patients with PTSD whilst they had therapy sessions so that they could access memories otherwise under lock and key.
    If it works, why not?
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    MDMA was used in the 50s to treat patients with PTSD whilst they had therapy sessions so that they could access memories otherwise under lock and key.

Do you know the results of this sort of treatment? Whether it worked, or the effect it had on the patients?

We did a fair bit of work around psychedelics and hallucinogens in our music tech class at college, of all things. Turns out the rise of acid in the 60s and 70s stemmed from it being used to help get information from people by the US government. Basically, when it fell in to the wrong hands it was reproduced and used recreationally.

Going back to the article - would either of you have any concerns with carrying out this sort of research?
    My only concern would be side effects. I've been on some drugs with some pretty shitty side effects - including an anti depressant (not why I was on it) which gave me depression and suicidal thoughts, which is extremely scary. But I assume that because these drugs have been around for years, we already have an idea what may happen in terms of side effects.

I think some people do get to the stage where they'd try anything (including illegal drugs) to help treat their depression.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Miss_Riot wrote: »

Not in the 50s. Was more the 80s.
    A suprisingly balanced doc from the US about MDMA.
    Peter Jennings - Ecstasy Rising Documentary (Full length upload): http://youtu.be/DNpFqJcJcps
    Weekender Offender