Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Moving to Texas!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys :wave:

As some of you know, I'm moving to Texas. Its going to, hopefully, be a really positive move for me. But bare with me, because the story behind it is quite confusing.

I've always wanted a family. Sure I've got blood relatives but they're toxic. 99% of them abused me in some shape or form. Is that really a family? I think not. Then when I moved into my current placement (well I say current, couch surfing ATM) I met this amazing women. She's one of my carers and is now the manager of the home. She was so loving and caring towards me we instantly had a connection. Only, she could never be a mum to be. She was a professional doing her job. It would be inappropriate (as social service have repeatedly told me). As soon as I realized there were actually kind people on this planet, I went on a search for someone to fit that maternal role. I've had my heart broken countless times but finally, I may have found what I've been looking for.

There's a couple living in Texas. They've never been able to have children themselves and are needing someone to fill that void, just like me! We've been talking for a while and she's offered for me to go live with them. Amazing huh? Its all going to be done by the books so will be 100% safe. Although I'm so excited to go, I'm getting angry at how long its taking. Visas are a pain in the ass and expensive. So are flights.

So my question to you guys is, do you know what I need to live in America? Obviously a visa and flight tickets. But anything else. I want to be able to do this asap.

Comments

• Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Wow Becki, this all sounds pretty amazing! I'm afraid I don't have any advice as such but I guess there will be some requirements for work etc, I apologise I don't know how old you are but I imagine in the long run you will need a work visa as well as just a residency one.

I'm sure someone with better advice will be along soon, but just take care you yourself :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think I may have sorted all the visa etc out. Me and the lady in question (don't want to use names etc on here) was talking last night about it and she may have figured out a way to get me there. Think it's going to take a while though :( sucks
    Fantastic BeckiBoo, so pleased for you! :d

Great that the lady might have some ideas about planning the practicalities such as visas and flights. It's never easy being patient at the best of times, so when it's something you really want, time can seem to drag by! :banghead:

Remember how big a step this is for you both and that it's best that everything is in place before you arrive so you can settle in easier in Texas. Because you're doing everything by the books, possibly quite a lot of the details will be sorted for you. Perhaps in the meantime you can use your time to do some research about the area you will be living in? It sounds like you're looking for a fresh positive new start so it might be worth being as prepared as possible. Take good care of yourself, good luck and keep us posted :thumb:
    Thanks Red rose

I have an update. So the lady is able to afford it :) whoop. She says she earns three times the amount (in a month) of money needed to get me over here which is awesome! Now we're trying to sort out visa etc. Its so damn complicated! Its a shame she doesn't live in the UK really because it would have been so much easier.
    Update: The lady's Dad passed away a few weeks ago sadly. She's travelled to Canada to be with her family bless her, and she's staying there for another 3 weeks. This means plans are on hold. I'm upset but I completely understand.
    Are you sure these people have been vetted and you know they are safe?
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Are you sure these people have been vetted and you know they are safe?

I wanted to say this. it sounds odd at best that somebody would pay for an adult to come over and live with them...
    Its all 100% safe. Trust me, I'm not being naive or stupid
    Hey Becki - as others have said, this sounds like an exciting opportunity for you to have a fresh start and to have some stability.

I must admit, it also sounds like a very big and important decision that I'd feel keen to make sure you were making with a trusted adult?

I think if you imagine a friend coming to tell you what you have told us, how might you respond? We want to see you happy but we also want to be sure you're safe as this isn't the sort of thing that's common.

I wonder if you would feel able to share with us how you were introduced to this lady and if your carers are helping you to prepare for the move?

You sound sure that this is safe and legit and we respect that. I think I speak for all of us when I say we feel very protective of you :heart: These doubts come from from a place of care, I don't think that you're naive.

I know you may not want to share personal details and that's fine but would you be able to tell us a bit more to put our minds at ease? ;)

We wouldn't be doing our job as your fellow community folk if we didn't make sure this was all above board as we want 100% what's best for you *hug*
    I wasn't sure this kind of thing happened... Good luck to you though.