Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Third sector volunteering after uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
During my time at uni, I've grown quite fond of the third sector through volunteering and societies, particularly organisations which promote helping others and affecting change. Although, I don't see myself working in the third sector full time, it's something I don't want to leave behind when I leave uni and I just wanted to hear what other people who have graduated and stayed with third sector work in their spare time have been getting up to in this area.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Ybe7 - it's really cool to hear how much you're enjoying the work you've got involved in during your time at uni so far and that you're keen to keep a foot in the third sector door once you finish :thumb:

I wonder if it's about thinking what sort of work/volunteering you'd like to do? Is it a support role you're interested in or something more focused on planning and delivering projects? Maybe it's worth writing down what tasks or different elements of the work you're doing at the moment that you most enjoy - it may help you to focus your search.

If it was a support role then organisations like Samaritans and Cruse offer really involved volunteering roles with comprehensive training.

Depending on where you will be living after uni it could be a good idea to do some research on what organisations exist within that area - you could contact them directly with a CV with your interests and availability to see what they might be able to offer or you could also get in touch with your local volunteer centre to see what opportunities might be available.

Often charities offer work experience placements over the Summer so that could also be something to look into - even if they don't advertise then if there is an organisation you'd like to learn more about then you could contact them and see if they might be willing to take you on.

Do-it is also a great first port of call to see what opportunities might be coming up in your area.

Does anyone else have experience they might like to share to inspire Ybe7?

:chin:
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    Hi Ybe7,

It's great to hear that you had a positive experience and are fond of the third sector, we think it's great!:thumb:

Coming out of uni can be a great time to get in to some solid volunteering. When I graduated I was working in a call centre whilst looking for work, but wanted something extra to do in the meantime, that would stop me from being so bored. At the time there were Youth Action Teams run by vinspired across the country and I joined one of those - through that I met somebody who was volunteering full-time here in the UK, and as I wanted to move out of home I took up the chance. 5 years later now working in volunteer management.

It's really up to you the kind of volunteering you want to do. Are you looking for something that will be applicable to future job and career interests, or is there a specific type of volunteering that interests you (such as mentoring or conservation)? Or are you interested in a specific cause or supporting a specific orgnaisation? There's likely to be a volunteer opportunity near you that suits what you are looking for.

I'm guessing you're already aware, but you can always check out Do-it and see what's out there at the moment in your area (they've just updated their website so give it a whirl).

Let us know how you get on, or something that you're interested in and we'd be happy to help you out.
    Thank you both for your very comprehensive replies. I'm more interested in project planning and delivery rather than service delivery and it's something I'd like to fit around a graduate job, so will probably only be able to commit a few hours a week to it. The particular areas I'm interested in are mental health and general welfare.
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi Ybe7 - just one other thing to add, depending on your career choice you could look for an employer with a lot of third sector activity - that's what I do! My employer is brilliant at giving us opportunities to volunteer both in our own time and around work, hence why I can do this at 11am on a Friday :)
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    Cat88 wrote: »
    Hi Ybe7 - just one other thing to add, depending on your career choice you could look for an employer with a lot of third sector activity - that's what I do! My employer is brilliant at giving us opportunities to volunteer both in our own time and around work, hence why I can do this at 11am on a Friday :)

That's a great point Cat! We should put a list together of organisations that do that stuff really well.
    Andy wrote: »
    That's a great point Cat! We should put a list together of organisations that do that stuff really well.

Are there any large businesses that support Youthnet's work as an example?