Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

PhD research proposal help!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I know there's a few postgrads on the boards so any help would be great!

I have 10 days (not my fault, uni only sent me an email with the forms Friday evening) to write a research proposal for research council funding. Huge amount rests on this because it's for 4 years funding. I haven't even written a proper research proposal and have no idea how I should go about it. I've had a quick google but a lot of stuff is aimed at physical rather than social sciences. Help!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Miss Riot,

How you getting on with it?

I wondered, is there a tutor or supervisor at the uni that you can speak to at all to get some advice? The university should be able to give you some guidance on this I would have thought :chin:

It might be worth taking a look on the Student Room too to see if anyone is talking about it?

Sorry not to be of more help! Any other postgrads out there with any experience?

I found this on the Univeristy of Southampton website which might have some transferable advice: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/sociology/postgraduate/research_degrees/apply/how_to_write_an_MPhil_PhD_research_degree_proposal.page

Good luck!
    Slowly...which isn't good!

I've made contact with a supervisor (after spending all day on the phone trying to get hold of someone who could help) and I've been given an example of a successful proposal, which I've taken apart and looked at the main points I need to make.
    Real issue here - before 1998 there seems to have been no legal definition of a hate crime...so I'm not sure if its ethically correct to classify historical crimes as such (for my research) using the definition if it wasn't in place when the offence was committed (looking at hate crime and subculture here).

If not then I need to write a proposal for research into british feminism from 1911 - present and what its past can tell us about its future...in 3 days :banghead: