Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mentalisation Group Therapy-Adult CMHT

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had my adult cmht first assessment today(basis of help/treatment).

My local adult community mental health team have to offer group therapy before they can do any individual treatment,This is the same for everyone who has a referral there and is how their service works.

The program,e ill be on is called Mentalisation and there will be people from 20-75 in there(.I am only 17)It is goin to last 10-12 weeks and should start in February.With up to 12 people in there too.

Does anyone know what any kinds of group therapy programmes are like?Or individual therapy from an adult cmht team either?

I dont know what to do...attend group therapy to get the individual help or not bother with it at all?xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi lovely

I've been in group therapy and it was quite helpful while I was there but I got taken off it due to being too ill but while I was in the group therapy it was good everyone is generally friendly and the therapist that runs should be too mine were great and extremely friendly and helpful if you were struggling.

Have they given you more information about Mentalisation therapy I've done a bit of this in individual therapy and found it good it's difficult to get your head around at first well that's how I found it but it helps to mentalise when in a crisis/difficult situation but can take a lot of practice also.

I'd deffo give it a go if you don't like it you can always stop they can't then say you haven't tried.

How did your assessment go?!

Hugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hiya again!Thanks for the reply.How ya doing?

Your experience with them does sound quite good and I am glad to hear that though sorry you were taken off it due to being ill.Would you habe liked to stay on it?

They have not given much information about it at all really, apart from a brief, very brief, summary of what it is and what it involves etc.I dont really understand it though?

I reckon I will give it a go but the problem I have is that if the group therapy doesnt work at all for ,e then i wont b able to get the individual either?

It was difficult and i cried a lot but i guess i managed it okay,considering

X
    It's worth giving the group therapy a go.

Transferring to the adult services will take some adjustment - it's a lot about independence and self care, and it would be best to try and engage with them early on as best you can.
    It's worth giving the group therapy a go.

Transferring to the adult services will take some adjustment - it's a lot about independence and self care, and it would be best to try and engage with them early on as best you can.

I will give it a go but i am very scared.

Thats one of the things i have very little of, as well as self esteem and confidence and that is self care!....

Xx
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I had my adult cmht first assessment today(basis of help/treatment).

My local adult community mental health team have to offer group therapy before they can do any individual treatment,This is the same for everyone who has a referral there and is how their service works.

The program,e ill be on is called Mentalisation and there will be people from 20-75 in there(.I am only 17)It is goin to last 10-12 weeks and should start in February.With up to 12 people in there too.

Does anyone know what any kinds of group therapy programmes are like?Or individual therapy from an adult cmht team either?

I dont know what to do...attend group therapy to get the individual help or not bother with it at all?xx

Hey there AngelFace,

I'm surprised they didn't put you in a 16-19 team, rather than leaping over to adults at only 17. How do you feel about doing group therapy? I don't have much experience with the adults services I'm afraid, but I have been in DBT, which has a mixture of Mindfulness, Group Therapy as well as individual focused sessions. I'm glad you're considering giving group therapy ago though, I personally found the support offered by people in group to be helpful, as it wasn't really focused on specific peoples issues, but rather how to cope with an issue in a moment, we learnt a variety of skills, and even had the joys of homework to ;)

Do you have any upcoming meetings with anyone who you might be able to discuss your thoughts and worries about the support offered? - Mental health professionals, etc? It might help getting reassurance on what support offered, and how they would go about offering it.

However, If you've been given the option of doing group therapy/individual therapy - Its definitely worth giving it ago, it's not for everyone, but you can pick up a variety of skills and coping mechanism from it, however, any therapy doesn't start working until you want it to work, and want to engage, and want to improve what's going on, at first I struggled to accept that, and I wasn't sure whether or not, I wanted to take the steps to get better, but once I did, I started finding the therapy more productive and useful.

How are things at the moment? - Remember, it's about taking little steps, not leaps, and were always here for you chick :heart:

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
    I've done a mentalisation based therapy group in the past, I found it very helpful :)
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I've done a mentalisation based therapy group in the past, I found it very helpful :)

Awh really.Did it help you?What was it like?x
    Heya Hun

I wasnt even aware that 16-19 groups existed.I am a little apprehensive and scared about doing group therapy but I k ow that i need the individual help which makes me feel like i should agree to the group therapy.but im not 100% sure really.

No, i dont.I literally have no one to talk to for at least another week or so.

Thamk you for your support as it means a lot to me.How are you?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Heya Hun

I wasnt even aware that 16-19 groups existed.I am a little apprehensive and scared about doing group therapy but I k ow that i need the individual help which makes me feel like i should agree to the group therapy.but im not 100% sure really.

No, i dont.I literally have no one to talk to for at least another week or so.

Thamk you for your support as it means a lot to me.How are you?

I think the 16-19 team varies on where you're location is, as I know York don't have that here, where as back home there is. It's not uncommon to feel scared or worried about group however, I was pretty scared to, all sorts of worries would run through my mind, but I really had to push myself to actually go, and I was able to talk to the person who arranged all about some of the worries I had. Do they run your group on monthly basis? We had so many weeks of a specific topic, and people would attend those specific topics while at group to test it out, and then a few months down would give the whole program a go, I'm unsure if that an option for you or not however.

Do you get to talk to someone before hand about the group? And what it may involve? It might help coming to the first one early and talking to one of the guys that run it, quite a few people used to come half an hour earlier, etc and talk to group leaders, and the option was there. But at least you'll be getting the experience of group and you'l know what kinda support group offers.

It's worth bearing in mind however, group does't work for everyone, or specific therapies, but I'm proud of you for reaching out to the support around you, that's a massive step in the right direction, keep going lovely!! :heart:

Do you know when you'd be starting group? Have you agreed to doing it yet? And no need to say thanks, that's what TS is here for, and were proud of you for being able to talk to us :heart:

Let us know how things are doing, and you're always welcome to PM me to if you ever needed a rant and all that m'larky!!! Or a general chat, I often find just chatting to people about randomshit helps me when I'm feeling low, and I know I'm not the only one in that boat,

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
    Ah okay,I see.Well,I wish it didnt vary between places as I think that everywhere should have all different types of groups and services but then again I know thats not possible due to lack of funding.Erm I think my group Ill be going to runs once a week for 10-12 weeks.

I will be speaking to my CAMHS worker at some point next week(for the very last time as i turn 18 in 2 weeks).We might speak about this at our final session.Apart from on here, I havent really spoken about it with anyone.

I really do appreciate you replying to me and actually caring so thank you.Not many people do at all.Not exaggerating on that either!

Hope your alright xx
    The break btween end of camhs to start of adult services started last week and feels like it is taking forever :'( xx
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Do you have anybody who you can talk to when things get difficult, during the break before you move onto adult services?

Remember we are always here
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Hi Claire

Thank you for replying to me,I appreciate it,..How are you?

Not really no.I do text few people but they never reply or are always too busy or just dont care.

I rang adult services and I am on the waiting list(as a priority)but I wont hear from them until at least the middle of February.

Xx