Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is it ever OK to lie?

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
In general, we know that lying is bad. We respect honesty, and hope that people we care about can be honest with us. But sometimes things aren’t so simple. What if the truth would really hurt the other person? Or they just don’t need to know?

For example:
  • What if you kissed someone else, but you know it’s a one-off, and you won’t do it again. Do you tell your boyfriend/girlfriend?
  • Or your friend asks if you like their new haircut (which looks really bad), what should you say?

Is it ever OK to lie?

Pinocchio_Lying.jpg

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Danny! wrote: »
    In general, we know that lying is bad. We respect honesty, and hope that people we care about can be honest with us. But sometimes things aren?t so simple. What if the truth would really hurt the other person? Or they just don?t need to know?

For example:
    • What if you kissed someone else, but you know it?s a one-off, and you won?t do it again. Do you tell your boyfriend/girlfriend?
    • Or your friend asks if you like their new haircut (which looks really bad), what should you say?

Is it ever OK to lie?

Pinocchio_Lying.jpg

Nope I get it everyday by my mum & famliey hate it I know when there liying they laugh and smarks anouing
    Sometimes it's ok. But it depends on the situation.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Melian wrote: »
    Sometimes it's ok. But it depends on the situation.

What kind of situation would be OK - could you give an example?
    What if you kissed someone else, but you know it?s a one-off, and you won?t do it again. Do you tell your boyfriend/girlfriend?

If it was a general one of kiss then yes I'd tell partner because that's still something big and deceitful whether it was a one off or not.
    Or your friend asks if you like their new haircut (which looks really bad), what should you say?

I'd probably tell them that I liked the previous style better but this new is still nice.
    Is it ever OK to lie?

I guess tiny lies to protect their feelings can't hurt, like the hair style one, but other than that I don't think it's okay to lie. I keep secrets but secrets that I should keep, which isn't the same as lying. Hypocrite :d

As Melian says, I guess it really depends.
    I don't think lies get you anywhere in life. Telling the truth will always make you the bigger and better person. Why cover up something with a lie that can grow and grow when you can just tell the truth.

Telling a porky pie will always end up with more consequences then telling the truth.

If something happens or you need to talk to someone, coming out with the truth there and then will make you feel better. If you're telling lies then what friend are you?

It goes with every day life as well, if you get in trouble with the police for example telling the truth is more likely to get you off more lightly, lying will tell them you're guilty.

In my way, I don't think it is ever okay to lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've lied to get myself out of doing stuff. And no, just saying no wasn't good enough. He wouldn't take no for an answer, so I felt I had no choice but to lie to get myself out of it.
    The day people stop lying to each other is the day this world grinds to a halt.

Everyone lies. From the minute you open your eyes we start lying to ourselves. We'd spend all day in bed with the covers over our heads panicking about the world if we didn't.

Forget alcohol, lies are the true social lubricant. Imagine a world where everyone told the completely unvarnished truth. Imagine the hurt feelings staved off by an inconsequential white lie. Every sentence you've wrapped up in a nice way to avoid upsetting someone? That's pouring lie sauce over the top of the truth to make it more palatable.

If a child asks you about global thermonuclear war, do you tell them the horrific truth about the scorched wasteland the world will become? Christ, no! You lie!

Show me someone who claims to always tell the truth and I'll show you the biggest liar of them all.

The sooner you accept that the 'Truth' is a moving target, the happier you will be.

Merry Christmas!
    Infinite. wrote: »

Everyone lies. From the minute you open your eyes we start lying to ourselves. We'd spend all day in bed with the covers over our heads panicking about the world if we didn't.

Forget alcohol, lies are the true social lubricant. Imagine a world where everyone told the completely unvarnished truth. Imagine the hurt feelings staved off by an inconsequential white lie. Every sentence you've wrapped up in a nice way to avoid upsetting someone? That's pouring lie sauce over the top of the truth to make it more palatable.

If a child asks you about global thermonuclear war, do you tell them the horrific truth about the scorched wasteland the world will become? Christ, no! You lie!

Show me someone who claims to always tell the truth and I'll show you the biggest liar of them all.

The sooner you accept that the 'Truth' is a moving target, the happier you will be.

Merry Christmas!

I like this. ^ :) Not as negative as it may sound, but so true.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Infinite. wrote: »

Merry Christmas!

Infinite - I'd be interested in your answer to the opposite question then: is it ever OK to be honest?

Or are there certain situations when we should always be honest?
    ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! why thank you taptalk deleting my long reply..... so here is attempt number 2 on lappy

This is very interesting as ultimately its never okay to lie, however sometimes you have to lie in order to protect another persons feelings or your own which can be hard to take and understand. For example if your meeting up with a friend and your family don't want you to you might have to lie and say your meeting up with another friend instead.... or if your out with family and a certain family member cant come due to being ill but feels bad so you lie and say you never went out to make them feel better. I wouldn't say in these cases lying is completely wrong, as its protecting others and making them feel better.
    However if you were lying about things which may break the law such as hurting someone this would be wrong as its not helping anyone. Its kind of down to the situation as some have already touched upon it also depends who your lying to and other things. But I guess ultimately its wrong to lie as a whole as you should always be honest even if it hurts others.... then again sometimes being to honest is just as hurtful!
    Yes... but eventually no...

so try to be honest - lying is only a short term escape from problems in my opinoin... and from experience can really screw stuff up more :p