Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Occupational Health Assessment....Help.Please?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

This is linked to my bloody mental health problems(all diagnosed).

I have been working aince September and the other day my contract changed so I had to fill in the health form.I wrote on it that i suffer with mental health problems but I now have to have an occupational health assessment, just not quite sure what it is.Anyone able to help or offer me some advice please?

Xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Occ health are there to help you. They will talk to you, about things that are going on and your mental health problems, assess the situation and decide whether or not you are fit to work. They will be able to help you in putting things in place to maintain employment or they will discuss with you the things that need to happen before you are ready to work again. My own experiences with them have been nothing but positive and I know of other people who have said the same thing.

They are usually good at taking onboard which your GP or another clinician thinks, as well as your thoughts and opinions. Try not to worry, although I know that's easier said than done when you're facing something new. Occ health genuinely are there to help you, not to catch you out. After the assessment, depending on the outcome, they will probably want to remain in contact with you, to ensure that you're getting on okay and don't need any additional input or support.

Let us know how you get on *hug*
    Wow Ella!Thank you for the great and helpful reply.

I guess I am worried that they might deem me unfit to be working(I work in a school but suffer with depression, anxiety, ptsd, possible bipolar and a possible type of personality disorder).I will soon be getting professional help with these mental health problems(and other issues)by the local adilt community mental health team in my area(my assessment with them is this coming tuesday,the 23rd).

I am fit to work and have done extremely well there so far, all things considering.

May i ask, how it has been positive experiences for you and how they have helped you?xx
    You're more than welcome hun.

I've seen occ health for both mental health problems and physical health problems. I first saw them when I was working in a pastoral support base, I knew that I needed some time out of work and they supported it. It wasn't done in a way which put me down or negated an already sensitive situation, instead we talked through the positives of me being able to have the time away and what I could do to ease myself back into work.

More recently I saw occ health through university, as I'm doing a teaching degree. I have various physical health problems, they aren't very common so my university freaked and questioned whether I could/should teach. Occ health supported me in saying they weren't reason to prevent me from being on the course and I was only asking for reasonable adjustment, which wouldn't interfere with my teaching or the education of children. For instance I have a different chair in the lecture hall and in classrooms I can't sit on tiny chairs and need to avoid prolonged periods sat on the floor. In terms of mental health, university haven't been too concerned about my fitness to teach because I had a health check prior to the course and for the most part I can identify when I need to take a step back from a situation. That isn't to say it's been without problems, I've had my wobbles but I know if/when the need arises (either mentally or physically) I can ask occ health for more support.
    I am really happy to hear how much occupational health have helped you.They do aound very caring supportive and understanding, which ia good.When you had time off for physical health issues, did you ask for it or did they offer it to you?

For what reasons do you think they would deem someone unfit to work if they had mental health problems?Im worried theyll tell me to habe time off but time off wont help.Work is an escape from every day life and a relaxing place for me.Hardly anyone says thay nut its true for me.
    Thank you for your support xx
    Occupational health will likely have multiple sessions with you based on your circumstances over time.

I had to see them last year, this was my experience.

I was having odd days off sick (I work in a school) and I've been having issues with sickness before I got the job, but they seemed to get worse the longer I was in this job (thinking it was related to being around children who were often sick with something). I spoke to my boss before going to occupational health (that she was referring me), and someone came into school to have a talk with me and my boss, and we discussed what we hoped to accomplish and what issues we knew were there.

Then I went to a doctors office on a planned date, to talk, we discussed my health problems and medical history, and how it was affecting my work - and then what the next options were. I'd already planned a visit to my GP to get the problem diagnosed so they were fine with that, because I had an idea what the problem was - I just had to let them know the outcome.

OH said I was fit for work at the first interview (which I knew) but they let my boss know that what I believed the problem to be was a justifiable cause for sickness (and the irregularities of being sick). Turns out my problem was a gluten intolerance, which I suspected after changing my diet and keeping a food diary. OH took the evidence of that, told my boss, and now my boss understands my situation and the case is closed almost a year later.

It's all very informal, they're just trying to understand if/what could affect your employment. They're there not to get you fired or out of a job, but to help both parties have a better understanding of you and how best to help you while you're at work. You get to discuss your side of the story, if you don't want time off you can say that. If you need extra support, even if it's not immediately, you'll get the support you need it.
    Hi there

Thank you for sharing your experience with occupational health with me.It sounds like yours was quite a positive experience then, is that right?

I also work in a school.The other day i was asked to fill in the health form and then id just written on there mental health problems but without writing any other info or details.My HR manager got back to me asked me to contact occupational health asap, which is what I done.I now have an assessment with them in january, when eveyone goes back to work etc.

What do you think they would do in terms of mental health then?I dont want to have to leave there at all or take some time out.Thatd not help me at all!

Thanks xx
    Yeah mine was positive.

I think it might just be a case of talking to someone at occupational health to determine what mental health you might need support with. From not writing it on your form, it may just be a chance for your employer to get to know more about your health and in whatever way they could help you in your employment. I wouldn't worry yourself over it.

As I said, it's not a case of them trying to get you out of work when they refer you to occupational health, it's learning how they can support you and have a better understanding about who you are. Their job is to keep you safe and comfortable while in work, not to take you out of work.
    I am really happy to hear how much occupational health have helped you.They do aound very caring supportive and understanding, which ia good.When you had time off for physical health issues, did you ask for it or did they offer it to you?

I haven't had time off for physical health issues, however it has been suggested and realistically in the future I will need time off to have surgery.
    For what reasons do you think they would deem someone unfit to work if they had mental health problems?Im worried theyll tell me to habe time off but time off wont help.Work is an escape from every day life and a relaxing place for me.Hardly anyone says thay nut its true for me.
    Thank you for your support xx

It very much depends on the person and their individual circumstances. I fully understand where you're coming from, in saying that work is an escape, it's often the case with me too. But as much as you might try to hide your emotions, children can be very intuitive and can pick up on things, especially if your body language is closed or not as "warm" as usual. When working with children the main priority is always to keep them safe - you have to be very honest with yourself and occ health, can you be 110% confident that you won't have a momentary relapse in judgement? The behaviour of the children is also important - children will play to a situation if they think they can. I don't know what your role is in school, but occ health will also need to consider if the children are still able to learn, or if the aims for them being there are met.

From what you are saying, you're managing to keep a level of stability and control at work which is great, however I would suggest not to be too closed about the choice of having time off. With the right support in getting you back into work, it could benefit you

*hug*
    Ah okay, I see.

My job is a T.A in a school.What is yours, can I ask?The children are that way and have never been affected by my presence etc as such as I am so good at hiding it and if I do feel down or negative, I leave the room amd get on with another job, which does not involve the children at that specific time.It would kill me inside even more if a child was to see me or sense that I was feeling down or negative etc.

For me, having time off work will probably make aspects of my mental health worse as well as not really doing me any good.xx
    I'm a trainee teacher. A lot of people doubted my capabilities and if I could do it, but so far I have proved them wrong and my current grading is outstanding. It's possible.

It sounds like you are very practical and rational about what you can and can't do. Make sure you explain that clearly to occ health.

I hope your assessment went as well as possible yesterday *hug*
    That sounds good.Good Luck with it!

I guess I am that way yeah.I will try to explain that but how?

It didnt go toooo bad I guess :s

Merry Christmas!And thanks for your support!
    I think by being honest. As you said, you are fully aware of what you can and can't do and know when you need time away from the children and use that to get on with another task. That is showing initiative but also that you are considering the welfare of the children around you.

Have you got a date yet for the assessment?
    ella! wrote: »
    I think by being honest. As you said, you are fully aware of what you can and can't do and know when you need time away from the children and use that to get on with another task. That is showing initiative but also that you are considering the welfare of the children around you.

Have you got a date yet for the assessment?

Sometime in January(22nd i think).Not sure if ill be able to go to it though as its quite far from where i live and on the day i have college(which ive missed an awful lot of as it is)xx
    Tell them that as soon as you can. If you only work par time then they should try and fit it into your working days.
    Tell them that as soon as you can. If you only work par time then they should try and fit it into your working days.

I will try to, thank you.

I have not been able to tell them or contact them about it yet as they have been closed for most of the holidays.

I dont know whether to just gonon the date ive been given though(23rd Jan)...x
    8 days away is my occupational health assessment....;s x
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Heya AngelFace, I know you posted this a few days ago now. But I wanted to see how you are feeling about of your occupational health assessment, we are here for you :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    I am feeling kind of worried and anxious about it now but not as much as what I was in the first place.And turns out my HR manager didnt even know I needed to go to one!xx
    This is tomorrow...xx
    How are you feeling about it now that it's nearly here? *hug*
    How are you feeling about it now that it's nearly here? *hug*

Argh...literally x
    how did you get on today? *hug*
    Hi Ella

Thank you for asking how it went.Sorry for my late reply.Havent been able to access TS for a little while now...

Anyways it was okay I guess.Difficult and anxiety triggering but it did go a little better than what I was expecting it to...

Xxx
    Huge well done for getting through that, especially given the anxiety and I'm glad to hear it went better than you were expecting. Do feel free to chat about it some more if you'd like to :)