Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

MacBook and Smart interactive boards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

Not sure if anyone will be able to help with this, but I figured it was worth s try.

I have a MacBook Air. In most schools, they have Smart boards fitting, using Smart Notebook. I have had Smart Notebook installed onto my Mac and I have an adapter to plug the Smart board cable into my Mac, but I haven't been able to connect the two. My Mac will register that something has been connected but the actual board won't pick up a signal.

I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do, obviously there are times when teaching that I need to display something on the board or use it interactively with the children and I'm unable to do so. I worked round it on my last placement and used the main teacher's windows laptop or my placement partner's MacBook (which is able to connect and display but the interactive technology doesn't work) but this can't be a long term solution, especially when I have a class of my own, as I will do for my next placement and when I get a job.

Any ideas?! Aside from not being an Apple wanker obvs.

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Are there any additional drivers that need installing? May be worth googling the board brand and model to see if this is the case.

Love a fellow Apple wanker.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    plugitin wrote: »

Love a fellow Apple wanker.

:lol:

I'm not sure, the school's IT technician installed the Smart Notebook software onto my Mac. I've got the most up to date Flash so I don't know what else I could need :chin:
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    You might need a driver for the projector and board itself, although you would expect it to be in the main software package.

Do you know which model board you have? There look to be some very useful troubleshooting guides on the SMART website.

Otherwise, it could be the set up of additional screens - is your MBA set up to mirror the display when plugged in, or extended (i.e. may need to drag window across or change settings to mirroring). Settings are under System Preferences then display (or the AirPlay icon when you have the board switched on, on the toolbar at the top to the left of the date, languages, wifi, sound etc.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'm not sure why it isn't working as I've had a mac book interactive with my smart board. Have you got all the cables? Both the input and output? What about the configuration on the computer? Have you tried your f3 button? That, on a PC, switches between screens. If not, I'd try and speak to an it technician in school.
    plugitin wrote: »

Do you know which model board you have? There look to be some very useful troubleshooting guides on the SMART website.

I have no idea. My placement at that school has finished, so I'm trying to sort this before my next placement as I can't necessarily rely on another laptop. It wasn't the most modern IWB but by no means was it ancient. When I'm back in uni I think I'll have a play around on one of the boards there and try the things you suggested (and cry at IT support)

Littlemissy, that's good to know, thank you. All the cables were connected so I will also try your suggestions in uni. Were you able to use the board interactivity, for instance using the pens, or could you only use it to display from your Mac?
    I've been using mine fine, on older boards and newest models. You can download the software from the SMART website, install it yourself, activate as a trial and then get a key from your next school to activate it.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I used it interactively so it is possible. What you talk about makes me think it's a missing cable. You can use it as a display without all the cables. Have you gone through all the trouble shooting on the smart website? X