Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Entitlements

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi have recently been relieved of my job of over ten years and I'm wondering what government funding I'm entitled to I have manage to find new employment but doesn't start until 6 weeks I have paid tax and nic for 10 years and have no savings any help would be really appreciated as I'm struggling to say the least for money at the minute cheers in advance. Matt

Comments

• JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Matt,

Welcome to TheSite boards!

Sorry to hear you're out of a job. It must feel pretty strange after 10 years in the same place and I imagine it's a quite an anxious time at the moment. But, it's great that you've got a new job lined up!

The benefits system is really complicated, so generally speaking, it's best to talk to an expert or trained advisor. The easiest way to do that is to visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Those guys can advise you on benefits issues, and can also do a full benefits check to see what you are entitled to. All services are free of charge. It would be a good idea to look at this page on what to take with you before you go and see them. They also have an online Adviceguide if you would prefer to search for their advice that way.

Turn2Us also have a lot of useful information on benefits and grants. They have an online benefits calculator where you can input your information and it will tell you what benefits you might be entitled to, and how to claim.

Finally, the website MoneySavingExpert is a really good resource for finding ways to save money and budgeting.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure if anyone else has any suggestions, they'll chip in below :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You may be entitled to job seekers allowance. But you have to 9as the name suggests) actively looking for work.
    James has given you really good information I used turn2us and its a really good site to find out what you entitied to
    Hi titchblonde,
    Welcome to the boards :wave:
    Thanks for your recent posts on the boards. However when posting please bear in mind the date of the original post - if it's some time away then we don't usually post on them as the issue is normally resolved for the original poster (OP) and they probably don't want to be reminded about it.
    You might want to check out our thread for new users to help you get started - http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php/166733-*-New-Read-this-first..-*

Thanks and happy posting!

:)