Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I have no control over my moods at all

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have no idea what's happening to me. I have a history of depression and anxiety but this is different. I'm low one minute and extremely high the next. I went to the doctor and he doesn't want me on anti depressants because I'm not just low. He gave me a number to ring and sort an appointment with a counsellor. I just want to know WHY I'm angry, sad, hyper, happy, crying all in the space of an hour. I feel so alone and lost and like no one is taking me seriously. I'm 21 and losing my mind!!! :banghead: :confused:

Comments

• PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey Vanessa :wave:

Welcome to TheSite boards!

It's great that you are sharing here and are so open and honest about what's going on and how you are feeling about it all. This community is really supportive and I am sure will be able to offer you advice and support.

Not understanding our mood and why we are feeling a certain way can be confusing and really frustrating. Have you noticed if certain things trigger your change in mood?

Have you discussed how you’re feeling with friends and family? If this sounds scary you might like to consider talking in confidence and without judgement to a volunteer at SANELINE on 0845 767 8000. The helpline is available to anyone experiencing a mental health issue and you would be able to talk through the feelings and worries you have.

Here at TheSite we have a few articles that you might find useful on understanding mood swings and how can I stop my mood swings

Keep posting :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you! I've noticed no triggers what's so ever. I could be super hyper one minute and down the next. Then back to happy, then to really low. Which is actually really frustrating as my life is good. I just don't understand at all..

I will look into those articles. Means a lot to be able to speak out to people who are so understanding :)
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey there Vanessa,

Warm welcomes to TheSite.org message boards, it's great to see you already posting! - Have you managed to have a look at the links PGreen has posted above, yet? :) I can assure you, you are not loosing your mind, it sounds like you're going through a really difficult and stressful patch at the moment, but it's positive to see you taking steps in finding out reasons behind your change in emotion.

Have you managed to give the phone number a call yet and sort arrangements out for counselling? It will be easier for someone to explore reasons in your emotions face 2 face, in-comparison to someone online, like us. Do you notice when your moods are dropping? Or does it just seem to happen? Often noticing what's going on in the moment can help, for example, allowing yourself to not get to hyper, or vice versa, however, I know that's easier said than done.

Have you ever come across Mindfulness? "Mindfulness is all about using techniques like meditation, breathing and yoga to help you become more aware of what?s going on in the present moment." - Mindfulness allows you to pay close attention to what's going around you, and with your body, paying close attention to your thoughts, moods and emotions.

TheSite.org had held a fantastic expert chat covering the topic, which again, might be worth looking into - http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/looking-after-yourself/expert-chat-what-is-mindfulness-9059.html - Again, warm welcomes to TheSite.org message boards :wave: - There's always some around here if you ever need a natter. TheSite.org also hold chats throughout the week, support chat and general chat, this allows you to get to know more of the community and also ask for support and advice, or just come in for a natter, times can be found here - http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat

However, Vanessa, you're not alone in this, and it's not an uncommon at all, it's just taking it step by step, but it sounds like you're speaking to the right people, etc. :heart:

Do keep us updated on how things are going for you Vanessa,
    Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart