Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Friends, what friends?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Here goes my first thread. Up until recently I had a handful of friends, two of which I classed as my best friends. But there has been a situation that has developed over the last year or so which really broke up the friendship group and made my girlfriend (who was part of the friendship group) look like the bad guy. Its a long story and I was the only one who really bothered to try and understand my girlfriends side of the story. Anyway I have recently made a decision to cut off from my so called two best friends because I had a moment of disappointment that made me realise they weren't the people I thought they were.
So this has left me literally without friends. In one sense its a relief that I can start a fresh with friends but its lonely and I lack anyone to talk to apart from my girlfriend. I am not saying this is a bad thing because she knows me better than anyone and I tell her everything, but friends are important to me and having none, its left me with a hole in my life that feels lonely. I suppose I'm posting this on here because it seems like a good place to let it out.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You study, right? Are there any clubs you could join? That's a good way to meet new people and make new friends. Another good option might be to volunteer - you could check local volunteering opportunities and see if there's anything of interest to you, whether that's something you already enjoy or something new. It's lovely to hear you stuck by your girlfriend and it sounds like she's really good for you so I'm glad you have her. Keep us posted *hug*
    Hi :) thanks for replying. I think I'm definitely going to look into volunteering. I have actually thought about doing some volunteering in the past but I've always been quite a shy person who's been happy to sort of stick to her comfort zone but I really want to try and push out of it and hopefully I'll be able to do that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi :) thanks for replying. I think I'm definitely going to look into volunteering. I have actually thought about doing some volunteering in the past but I've always been quite a shy person who's been happy to sort of stick to her comfort zone but I really want to try and push out of it and hopefully I'll be able to do that :)

That's great news :)

We have some good info here on TheSite about volunteering that you might like to browse: http://www.thesite.org/work-and-study/volunteering

Let us know how you get on, do you know what kind of volunteering you might like to do?

You can look up your local volunteer centre here as well: http://www.do-it.org.uk/articles/about-volunteering/find-a-volunteer-centre/

:)
    Thanks for the links. I think I'd like to do something along the lines of befriending ☺️ I am going to look into it more over the weekend and Christmas break ☺️