Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Private landlord, is that holding deposit refundable ??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

i have one question. On 11/12/2014 i payed holding deposit for privet landlord in the amount of 300£.Yesterday i contact landlord and said that i will not be renting this flat cause i found the cheaper one.
Is that any chance to get my deposit back ? I didnt signed any documents or agreements.
All i have is her signed receipt for 300£ (copy is attached)

Basically i asked her yesterday to return me any amount of money and i will be happy, but she replied me and said that it is not refundable.

Thanks for your help.Attachment not found.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi there,

I've just checked over on Shelter's website, they have some really useful info about private renting and if you scroll down on this link you'll see information on Holding Deposits: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/costs_of_renting/letting_agent_fees_and_charges

Unfortunately it says:
    Do not pay a holding deposit unless you are certain you want that particular property. If you decide not to move in, the holding deposit might not be returned to you.

Really sorry to hear you've lost out on £300 - if you'd like some further advice then do give Shelter a call. You can contact their Housing Advice Helpline on 0808 800 4444. It's open 8am-8pm on weekdays and 8am-5pm on weekends.

Good luck and I hope you find a place that suits you better soon :)
    Thanks for advice.

Everything happening soon unexpected. You never know what will be tomorrow :)
    Anyway thanks again for advice, have a wonderful new year !
    san-iok wrote: »
    Everything happening soon unexpected. You never know what will be tomorrow :)
    Anyway thanks again for advice, have a wonderful new year !

Glad you're feeling positive! Have a lovely Christmas and New Year too :)
    When I went for mine, I was able to get my holding deposit back if I wasn't accepted/didn't pass the credit checks, it was a little cheaper than yours but as soon as the landlord accepted me, I was no longer able to get the holding deposit down. I think every landlord works differently though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did she inform you it is non refundable before hand?

If not you would have a case as something can not be implied. If she never stated it, it wasn't non-refunable